1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Insurance Claim ...CRT V Projector...HELP

Discussion in 'TVs' started by stuarty boy, May 10, 2005.

1. stuarty boy

stuarty boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi guys, got a prob, not sure if posting on correct forum so please dont crack up at me. Need your help..have insurance claim with Abbey. damaged my 2 Y.O Sony 36inch CRT beyond repair (swinging a 9 iron in close proximity of T.V is not recommended). Dilemma... Abbey my insurance company have offered me an alternative as Sony or whoever do not make 36" CRTs any more. The settlement is based on an equivalent 42" Projector T.V they didnt specify which brand. Now with my limited knowledge, I am of the understanding that a projector T.V does not produce as high a quality picture as a good quality CRT. is this correct.

can anyone help, I would appreciate any comments or assistance. If it helps we dont have a large lounge! "Screen size v viewing distance" recs....

Cheers

Stuart

2. EnglishJohn

EnglishJohn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    You should check with your insurance company, but tell them you want to replace it from a supplier of your choice - locally for example. They will give you the amount of cash that it would cost them to replace from there supplier and then you use that for what you want.
    My TV broke so I mail ordered a projector and screen instead of a pants TV they wanted to send me, they just sent me a cheque when I sent them the receipts to show I bought something - had to pay the difference obviously.
    I still need to buy a TV though... hmm now which 32" LCD should it be?

Hope this helps in not letting the insurance company bully you into having something you may not want.

3. kourosh

kourosh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +918
    when i had a claim i managed to get vouchers to spend in comet but yeah have a chat with your insurance company they should be quite flexible but you can still get the 36" toshiba picture frame for about £900 thats quite a nice set if you want to stay with crt

4. stuarty boy

stuarty boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks guys for replying, just been to Currys today and have been a bit spoiled for choice. i have around £1600 in Vouchers to spend on new teevee, want something skinnier than CRT so will opt for Plasma....heres the rub...was fkn blowin away with a demo HDTV they were using it on a Sagem DLP...the Sagem didnt attract me but the concept of HDTV is unbelievable.

Only thing is Currys HDTV ready Plasmas are £3000...i dont want to spend as much as this but will go to around £2200 Max.

Can you check this one out and tell me what you think, mentions HD any comments would be good... PS think I have to use currys or dixons, so say Abbey

http://www.currys.co.uk/martprd/sto...sku=206524&category_oid=-20090&fm=3&sm=0&tm=0

5. neilmcl

neilmcl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +290
    I would wait for the new Panasonic 500 series Vieras out this month.

6. stuarty boy

stuarty boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    totally agree, got info from another memeber to this effect.

thanks a lot

Stuart