Insulating a Poorly Built Garage

sjackson

On the side of my house I have a small garage (2.7m * 4.7m) but has potential for a dedicated room with a screen across the 2.7m end. My assumption is that it was built when the house was, around 1950. One side of the garage is attached to the house so no insulation issues there. The other walls it seems were built with single 4" block. The roof looks like felt covered plywood but it is water tight. The floor is roughly laid concrete so I assume there's no insulation there or damp proof barrier. Right now it's just used for storage. The oil burner is in there now so it doesn't really get cold (which could be removed).

With consideration for a dedicated room, I think insulation and a radiator are key. What are my options here?

Thinking very simply to my uneducated mind, could I kill two birds with the one stone here? Could I line the 4 walls with 4x2 stud work and fill with RW3? This would both insulate the walls and provide acoustic treatment? Cover the RW3 with fabric like Camira or MVEL. Or do I need a hard surface between the insulation material and the room for best heating efficiency? I'm sure I'd need some ventilation also.

Not entirely sure what I could do with the floor. Suggestions? I definitely would like to raise it so it's higher than the driveway.

As for the ceiling, again insulate but fit a hard surface like plaster board with some acoustic panels.

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung S95B QD-OLED Review - A Quantum Leap for OLED!
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom