Insulating a downstairs showeroom

Don Dadda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi

I don't know if anybody can help with a few pointers or ideas but here's goes.

We inherited a downstairs toilet/shower room which was built onto the side of the house but within the garage. Dimensions are H = 2m, W=1.5m and L=2.5m
It is built with breeze blocks and then rendered inside and painted. Bar a small fan heater, no radiator or insulation whatsoever to speak of. There are no windows and the extractor fan is on the ceiling, but no shut-off cover to stop cold air coming back into the room. So you can imaging its during the winter months, it is absolutely freezing in there.

My plan is to keep existing shower, toilet and sink, but re-tile the whole room, add a electric radiator that can double up as a heated towel radiator , replace the extractor fan with one that has a shutter and insulate it somehow.
My question is about insulation and would there be any benefit of adding insulation to the outside of the shower room walls, plastered and rendered to help keep the inside warm?

Even though i will be removing the shower, toilet and sink to re-tile the room, i am hoping that I the above is possible as that means i will not loose any room from which is already a smallish area and having to extend pipe/drain work to accommodate the extra thickness of walls.

And if possible, which is the best way to go about it.

A friend, whose just finishing up his extension and will help me with mine shower room, suggested to add some 2" beams to the outside of the walls, put suitable insulation in-between the beam and then plasterboard it, which is what i had in mind anyway, but uncertain how effective this will be

Look forward to your replies.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom