Insuffient bandwidth Message

laserbeam

Prominent Member
Reaction score
My wife watches BBC iplayer on her laptop and just recently the programme she is watching keeps stopping saying insufficient bandwidth.This happened occasionally when I have been watching BBC iplayer on the TV but it seems to happen more on my wifes laptop.Does anyone know causes this and is there something I can do to stop it.Thanks

You don't say if your wife's laptop is used wired via ethernet plugged into the router or via Wi-Fi but It means you have poor internet speed.
Run a speedtest at speedtest.net and check your average download speed.
You could upgrade to the more expensive but usually much faster Fibre Broadband if you don't already have it.

I have just checked my download speed on my laptop using speedtest.net.I took four downloaded readings which were 34.87,30.42,34.95 and 32.99 and the average is 33.31 and this is using the laptop wirelessly.Will try it wired up later and put those readings on here.

I have just checked my download speed on my laptop using speedtest.net.I took four downloaded readings which were 34.87,30.42,34.95 and 32.99 and the average is 33.31 and this is using the laptop wirelessly.Will try it wired up later and put those readings on here.

I wouldn't bother testing it wired as those speeds are more than ample for watching iPlayer.
Rather than watching live your wife could download her programmes then watch them, there should be no problems doing it this way.

Check to make sure you have nothing else running on the Wi-Fi that has priority, also when it says insufficient bandwidth check to see if the computer is downloading an update, (Don’t put off updates unless it is critical to the work you are doing at the time) if the above is fine, try re-starting the router, (Physically turn it off rather than doing a soft re-start) also if the modem is separate from the router do the same with this. (If you are using Win 8 or 10 do a proper re-start as well rather than just turning them off and then on)

NOTE: Speed test will only test your internet connection; it will not identify any contention problems on your home network.

Bill

I wouldn't bother testing it wired as those speeds are more than ample for watching iPlayer.
Rather than watching live your wife could download her programmes then watch them, there should be no problems doing it this way.
AS the programs are being shown on BBC iplayer how do you download them my wifes laptop's OS is Windows 8

On the BBC iPlayer you should see a “Download” button next to each programme.

Thanks JayCee I have just checked my broadband speed with the laptop connected with a ethernet cable the readings were 38.19,37.90,38.28 and 37.93 with a average reading of 38.07.Have just been onto BBC iplayer on here and could not see a download button.

Using any browser on any PC when you go to the BBC iPlayer website and select a programme to view a “download” icon appears, click on it to download.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom