Instructions for Sony Smear Fix.

HowieC

Standard Member
Reaction score
This fix is for the Vertical Colour Registration fault on FX66, FQ70 & KP44PX2 Sony sets. It has been tested by a number of members and is 100% successful.
This is the fault which places the colour information slightly higher than the picture giving the impression of the colour smearing upwards. Its most obvious with red but does affect all colour.
If you have a set with this fault you will have noticed it, some of these models are however ok.

First a reminder for those that need it how to get your set into service mode.

Starting with the set in Stand By

Press i+ 5 VOL+ [] The final one is the teletext off button.

The set should now come on with TT displayed.
Press Menu
Scroll (with up/down arrows) to ScanRate
Press Right arrow to enter ScanRate menu
Display reads 00h
Press OK
Scroll down 100+ entries till you reach
VCRPRESCM
By use of Left/Right arrows change setting
From 1 to 0
Press Menu
Press 00
FIXED.

WARNING. Do not adjust anything else in this menu, there are settings here that if touched can disable your set.
Feel free to post your comments on the improvement to your picture.
Any queries please post, or PM me.

Mods Any chance of a sticky for this post.

Those with Sony FQ70 and Freeview box select BBCi and look at the characters at the bottom of the screen; you should notice that the bottoms of the characters are grey producing a ghosting effect
Apply the fix suggested by HowieC the characters immediately become perfect color, if you then switch back again you will wonder how you lived with it for so long.

I wonder what else lurks in the service menu.

Great work..

Thamesgate.

Another very satified FQ70 owner here - the change was immediately obvious and makes the set just about perfect.

A big :smashin: from me

VERY pleased with my FQ70. It has excellent geometry and colours are just perfect now. I watched my friends Panasonic PD30 last night and although the pictures can be amazing they can also be disspointing. I prefer consistancy! The colour bleed is bad but once fixed gives a very sharp picture. Not sure why I put up with it for so long.

I think the FQ70 is a seriously under rated TV.

Thanks for the fix HowieC !!

ok, so does this fix the problems that are highlighted in the review on this site?

I'm looking to get a new TV and was thinking about getting the 32FX68U is it more desireable to get the FQ70?

it certainly does Sami. I think one review referred to it as the smear factor and it lost out on 5 stars because of this.

I had an FX68 before the FQ70 but found the line flicker excessive. Even my other half could not put up with it!

I beleive many people purchase the FX68 because of the lack of smear. However, this is no longer an issue. I can honestly say I do not see any 100hz side effects.

Go get one ;)

Originally posted by pclarke
it certainly does Sami. I think one review referred to it as the smear factor and it lost out on 5 stars because of this.

I had an FX68 before the FQ70 but found the line flicker excessive. Even my other half could not put up with it!

I beleive many people purchase the FX68 because of the lack of smear. However, this is no longer an issue. I can honestly say I do not see any 100hz side effects.

Go get one ;)

Sold!!!!

I take it the geometry etc is all ok as well yeah?

Cheers

Sami

I have been through 6 tvs in the last year and the geometry is definately the best I have seen-very straight everywhere. Had to move the picture up slightly in the service menu but other than that pucker.

Are you going to get one? If so where from?

Originally posted by pclarke
I have been through 6 tvs in the last year and the geometry is definately the best I have seen-very straight everywhere. Had to move the picture up slightly in the service menu but other than that pucker.

Are you going to get one? If so where from?

I'm not too sure to be honest..... it's looking very likely that I am going to go for this one..... ws probs going to try and get a price match from JL.... cheapes online I've seen it with stand is about 845.....

am also looking into the Toshiba 32ZP38 and buying that on finance rather than credit card........ however i need to look at what the reviews are saying about it etc etc.

I'm basically looking to spend between £600 and £800 idealy, but if I can get an absolutely amazing TV for more then I will

Any suggestions?

Does the FQ70U have a component input? Is it that important to have?

Also, I read earlier in these forums that there is a problem with the picture out of a PS2 (Gaming not DVD) something about it being very very fuzzy.....is this true as I would be using a PS2 on whichever TV I decide to buy.....

I tell you, this whole buying a new TV thing is very very confusing!!!!!!!!

Is this fix just for the sets mentioned?
Is the 32nx200 (digital TV) affected?

sjw

Ernet,

Does your FQ80 have the same problem? There seems to be disagreement as to whether this model suffers from the vertical colour smear. If it does you could certainly try the fix, but I cannot confirm the menu system is the same as the FX66 & FQ70 my guess would be that it is basically similar.

Keep me informed.

HowieC

HowieC... you are one in a million!!!

I've owned the KP44PX2 rear projection set since Nov 2002 and this has been bugging me like crazy! I've posted on these forums time and time again for info on this. I've ventured into the service menu and have never come up with the solution. You can imagine how visible this problem is on a 44" screen.

I've just done the changes and i finally have a perfect picture! I am so pleased... you wouldn't believe.

Thanks again
Pete.

Thanks for that Pete, I'll add the KP44PX2 to the list of sets on the original post.

Hi HowieC,
... mine not.But my friend mentioned sth. like this. That's why I asked. Thanks for reply.

colour bleed - yeah i sometimes see the reds over the lines... and v pixelly on occasion. Also i get a purple hue in the corner once in a while - there are speakers there but are magnetically shielded. I have to switch off and on to get rid of the purple tinge

The fault is specifically the colour being slightly higher than the B&W information. Its a permenant condition and very obvious if you have it. If you think you have, then try the fix and let me have some feedback.

Hi All

Lots of readers for this post, how about some more feedback if you have applied my fix.

I've got the KP44DX2 and have slight blue showing around the edges of white text etc... Nothing too bad & have just had an engineer out to look at it & the geometry.
He made it better, making it more central but could not get rid of the blueness completely - do you think this will work with my problem?

Thanks

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom