Installing Z2 and screen...have I got it right?

MacReady

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I am in the process of ordering my first projector and screen but want to be certain I have got the right size screen for the projector and room.

The projector is going to be fixed to the back wall of a room measuring 600cm x 340cm and will be aprox 220cm from the floor. I will be using a Gyrolock mount to fixe it to the wall rather than the ceiling .

The screen (a DRH 231 x 130 16:9 manual) will be aprox 480cm away from the projector (a Sanyo Z2)

The main viewing sofa ( :D ) will be aprox 380cm away from the screen.

I have used a couple of online calculators to work this out and I 'think' I am going with the right size screen but just wanted to be double sure before I ordered it.

Cleric said:
I am in the process of ordering my first projector and screen but want to be certain I have got the right size screen for the projector and room.

The projector is going to be fixed to the back wall of a room measuring 600cm x 340cm and will be aprox 220cm from the floor. I will be using a Gyrolock mount to fixe it to the wall rather than the ceiling .

The screen (a DRH 231 x 130 16:9 manual) will be aprox 480cm away from the projector (a Sanyo Z2)

The main viewing sofa ( :D ) will be aprox 380cm away from the screen.

I have used a couple of online calculators to work this out and I 'think' I am going with the right size screen but just wanted to be double sure before I ordered it.

I could be wrong, but I think the throw is too far for the size of screen you've choosen. I'm throwing 3.8M, and the minimum zoom gives an image approximately 2.0M wide; so at 4.8M I'd expect it to be a little bigger than your screen.

There is some consolation, however, there's a digital zoom mode (just uses a portion of the LCD matrix) to reduce the active area (I have the same problem, although my screen is only 1.83M wide), however you've got to be careful because, as well as lowering the effective resolution, the border area (from the unused portion of the LCD screens) is less than black, raising the ambient light level at the screen.

No possibility of mounting the PJ closer to the screen?

(and please, double check on the screen calculators, but I know I suffer from the image being too large on my Z2).

PS. You'll need a fairly dark room, too, with that size screen; nothing the Z2 can't handle, just be aware that it's a fairly large image.

Regards

Mike

Mike, I think you may be right.

I have done a few more checks and it looks like the screen may not be big enough...allthough DRH dont seem to make a screen any bigger as a manual pulldown :-(

I can't really put the projector any further forward due to lighting fixtures so I may have to look at getting a screen from somewhere else :-(

Looks like the lighting is going to have to be moved. The projector will sit a bit further forwrd and be aprox 415cm from the screen..I hope that is OK.

Apols if I missed the reasoing for buying the screen with/before the PJ, but isn't the best way to go to buy the PJ you want, put it in the place you want, then buy/make a screen to fit?...PJ

PJTX100 said:
Apols if I missed the reasoing for buying the screen with/before the PJ, but isn't the best way to go to buy the PJ you want, put it in the place you want, then buy/make a screen to fit?...PJ

In all honesty this is not how I would want to do things either..the problem is that we are having a LOT of work done on our house at the moment that all has to (try ) and fit into just over one week as that is all the time I can get off work at the moment (my Boss is not at all happy I am off in the first place we have that much to do at the moment!).

The guy fitting the screen and projector is also working around builders who are going to be trying to get the ceiling papered as well as fit all new coving...along with wiretrack systems for all the cabling. We are also having a open fire removed and a gas fire fitted so we have to allow some time for the dirt and dust to settle after it is removed before things like the screen and projector can go up so things are going to be tight!

I needed to order pretty much everything I could at once so that it could all be fitted...I thought the lighting being moved was a no no but the builders have had a look and said they can work to the new projector position without it causing too much fuss or extra cost.

I just wanted to get the biggest possible picture for the living room too ;)

very useful flash based calculator here:

http://www.projectorcentral.com/Sanyo-PLV-Z2-projection-calculator.htm

At 4.8m throw, the projected image will be a minimum of 265cm x 149cm - to make it fit 231cm x 130cm the throw needs to be 4.18m :) So 62cm nearer to the screen. Do bear in mind though that it sounds like you have measured to the back of the room with the 4.8m and whatever the pj is mounted on plus the length of the pj has to be taken in consideration - if this alone was 30-40cm then you have minimised that element down, and you could always mount the screen that bit nearer on the ceiling rather than the wall :)

Hope this helps

I have ordered a Vogels mount with 30cm (which I am going to reduce a little bit) drop today and decided that I am going to have the projector fitted to the ceiling closer to the screen.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom