Installing Wired Network Points....

gingamonkey

Standard Member
Hi guys,

After two years of renovation hell, I'm finally moving into my house this weekend. I have a question regarding networking...

I am having Virgin BB installed on Friday in the small upstairs study. I intend to hook this up to a Netgear WNR834B wireless router which will be located in this room too.
I'd like to add a physical, wired connection in the lounge which is downstairs in the opposite corner of the property (a 1930's traditional semi). To do this, I was going to run Cat5e cable from the router in the upstairs room, across the loft and down a preinstalled conduit through the front bedroom and into the lounge, all via ethernet wall sockets.

Would this length of cable be okay? Would it have any affect on the signal, as the main reason for doing this is to improve on the wireless signal to the Xbox360 in the lounge (and to avoid forking out for an expensive 360 wireless kit!).

Also, if anyone has any 'how to' links with regards to this type of installation that would be a great help, along with any specific cat5 cable recommendations.

Thanks in advance,
gingamonkey

N

nburg01

Hi guys,
Would this length of cable be okay? Would it have any affect on the signal, as the main reason for doing this is to improve on the wireless signal to the Xbox360 in the lounge (and to avoid forking out for an expensive 360 wireless kit!).
That'll be fine, you'll get no signal loss whatsoever, the recommended maximum length for Cat5/Cat5e is 100 metres (328 feet) and I'm sure you're well within this limit.

tomd84

Novice Member
Hi guys,

After two years of renovation hell, I'm finally moving into my house this weekend. I have a question regarding networking...

I am having Virgin BB installed on Friday in the small upstairs study. I intend to hook this up to a Netgear WNR834B wireless router which will be located in this room too.
I'd like to add a physical, wired connection in the lounge which is downstairs in the opposite corner of the property (a 1930's traditional semi). To do this, I was going to run Cat5e cable from the router in the upstairs room, across the loft and down a preinstalled conduit through the front bedroom and into the lounge, all via ethernet wall sockets.

Also, if anyone has any 'how to' links with regards to this type of installation that would be a great help, along with any specific cat5 cable recommendations.

Thanks in advance,
gingamonkey
Any cat 5 should do i got mine in bluk from dabs (when they were good!) , i have a feed from my router feed to the loaf where there is a hub, then run cable to a few rooms in my house, works Fine never had a problem.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Panasonic HX800 TV + Sony HT-G700 Soundbar reviews, movie and TV show news and reviews
Top Bottom