Installing Windows 7 on Mac Air II, problem partitioning

kazino21

Are there any guides for this?

I have tried using boot camp assistant and I have made the driver disk successfully. When it comes to partitioning though it comes up with this :

The disk cannot be partitioned because some files cannot be moved.
Back up the disk and use Disk Utility to format it as a single Mac OS Extended (Journaled) volume. Restore your information to the disk and try using Boot Camp Assistant again.

What should I do and will a 35GB partiition be enough for windows to run properly (only plan on using it for things I can't do in OSX)

Jules Winfield

BootCamp needs a continuous block of free space to create the partition. It's complaining because it can't find enough continuous free space on your hard drive. You could try reducing the partition size, though it's probably best not to go lower than 32GB, else you might run short on space.

There are a few suggestions here:

Apple - Support - Discussions - The disk cannot be partitioned because ...

Your hibernation/sleep file may be using a chunk of space, so you could try disabling that, partitioning and then re-enabling:

10.4: Disable Safe Sleep for faster sleep on lid close - Mac OS X Hints

Or you could do what it suggests, and backup your data, reinstall and try partitioning again. If you can't be bothered going through all that, you could use CarbonCopyCloner or SuperDuper to make an image of your hard drive, restore it and try partitioning again.

Bl4ckGryph0n

Distinguished Member
If you are only plan for using it for things you can't do in OSX I wouldn't both with a bootcamp partition at all. I would just run it in a virtual machine as that is very fast. I prefer VMWare Fusion to do that and other operating systems, but there is also the free virtualbox software to do a very similar thing.

In fact my Windows 7 ultimate is used so little that I have moved it to an external drive connected via FW to my macbook which is actually faster than using my internal disk ;-)

Top Bottom