Installing windows 10 on machine with 30gb

MikeKay1976

Distinguished Member
Hi.
My cleaner gave.me her PC and said it had a fault. I had a look and I think it is fine but it only has 27gb of storage once formatted

It's a HP stream 14 I think is the model number and the "fault" is simply it can't fit a Windows update install file on the machine and then run it.

I am thinking o could possibly just blap it and create a usb ISO and hope that works but can't be bothered doing it if it's destined to fail. Does anyone know what the smallest HDD you need to run Windows 10.
My suggestion is going to be to but a light weight Linux distro on it as she only used it for we surfing, YouTube and Netflix etc however am looking for options incase she really wants windows
Thanks.

next010

Distinguished Member
There is a built in SD card reader on the HP Steam 14.

If you put a card into that and download the windows 10 upgrade/installer it should see the free space on the SD card and use that to update the OS to latest version.

Also via settings->storage turn on storage sense and in same area select "change were content is saved" and pick the SD card.

That might free up enough space to keep windows usable on it.

For Linux distro I'd recommend Linux Mint Cinnamon or Zorin, they should do for basic tasks, very light weight linux OS might be too retro for her but Puppy Linux is one to try.

WildeKarde

Distinguished Member
I thought I'd seen something about 32gb being the smallest drive for a windows 10 install.
However, I'm thinking it'll also want some more space on top for apps and updates working.
A cheap 250gb or 500gb ssd might be a worthwhile investment

Delvey

Distinguished Member
I thought I'd seen something about 32gb being the smallest drive for a windows 10 install.
However, I'm thinking it'll also want some more space on top for apps and updates working.
A cheap 250gb or 500gb ssd might be a worthwhile investment
Agree, especially if it is an older SATA SSD. you can pick up a 500GB Crucial for £45 nowadays

sykotik

Distinguished Member
Could be wrong, but I took a look at a mates HP stream and the storage was soldered on to the mobo.
The only to expand the storage was an sd card (or very small USB drive plug in and hanging out of one of the ports )

Could the same with this laptop.

MikeKay1976

Distinguished Member
Thanks for all the info. I dug out an old sdcard and put that in but still could not get the update to run so I have blapped it and put a clean install on. It was taking for ever so left it over night. I will check it out and hopefully finish it off later

If that fails it will have to be linux

Johnmcl7

Distinguished Member
Could be wrong, but I took a look at a mates HP stream and the storage was soldered on to the mobo.
The only to expand the storage was an sd card (or very small USB drive plug in and hanging out of one of the ports )

Could the same with this laptop.
I dealt with a similar Lenovo which was new and had pretty much no user data but was failing on the first big Windows update. I installed a tool which allowed Windows update data and similar to be cleared down to free up enough space to install the update but I think the owner was going to look at returning it since it was clearly pretty useless if it couldn't even install an update out of the box and with the memory soldered it couldn't be upgraded.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Anthem AVM 70 Review, EQing Your Home Cinema Sound System and More...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom