1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Installing Win 2000 Server on a new platform

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Dr Nick Riviera, Jun 16, 2004.

1. Dr Nick Riviera

Dr Nick Riviera

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all
    I want to install Win 2000 Server on to a PC to sit on my network and publish 2 120GB volumes over Appletalk so that my Mac users can access them. Why did MS dump Appletalk services from XP Pro :mad: - so annoying!

My question is: if I buy a new PC from one of the "better" boxshifters such as Evesham, Mesh or the like, will I be able to simply wipe the XP Pro they all seem to ship with, and install 2000 Server instead in order to get my Appletalk services back? Or perhaps install as a dual boot?

I seem to recall reading (or hearing from one of those knowledgeable mates we all seem to have) that 2000 Server doesn't like Athlon XP or Celeron based setups - true?

This machine won't be doing much except sitting there publishing these 2 drives, so absolute performance isn't necessary. To that end, I have a crappy old Athlon XP1700+ with 256mb RAM currently running Win98 - would that manage it (with a good cleanup and 2000 server install)?

Oh, and by the way, the 2000 Server is a legit copy that was never installed at our last round of upgrades.

Any expert opinions welcomed. Thanks for looking.

Nick

2. JohnS

JohnS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    The old athlon 1700 you have will be fime for what your talking about, server runs fine on an athlon or celeron because I've done both.

If you decide to buy a new machine running xp and boot from the server disk, as long as a partition is available to install to it will give you the option to clean install or create a dual boot, its pretty staright forward when you try.

3. The Dude

The Dude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,173
    the only snag you may hit is that 2000 server has problems seeing large IDE disks.. not sure where the limit is, but I've tried a similar setup using 250 gig disks and hit a brick wall, tried all UGs available and still no joy, ended up using 2000 pro instead.. !

As John says, dead easy install if installing from CD, just create a partition of say 20gig and install 2000 server to there, then create the other partitions in windows post-install..

make sure you service pack to SP4 as the first task post install, lols of probs with HW/drivers without SP3 or higher...

Just as easy to install as 2000 pro, only a few extra network bits & pieces which you probably wont even need to set up..

4. Dr Nick Riviera

Dr Nick Riviera

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hmmm... the drives I want to attach are external FireWire ones: one is 120GB and the other is 200GB.

So assuming I buy a new PC, do I need to do any partitioning before doing the Server install? Or just boot from the Server CD and assign a chunk of the available HD as a partition?

Dude: I would happily use Professional, but the Appletalk services aren't in Pro mate.

Cheers

Nick

5. The Dude

The Dude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,173
    when you run 2000 server setup it scans the disks for partitions and asks you what you want to do with them..

if you wanna wipe the thing anyway the best approach is to delete any existing partitions, then create a new one and install 2000 server on this..

I always create a small partition, say 20gig, to install 2000 on, then use the rest as a storage partition later on.. it's just preference really..

I don't think you'll have any trouble with your external drives, my prob was due to the fact they were IDE disks...

Not suggesting you use 2000 Pro Nick, if you want a machine which will just sit there all day then server is defo a much better bet..

6. The Dude

The Dude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,173
    though I'd agree with John, your old Athlon PC is still more than capable of the job,

in perspective, that's got more horsepower than half the fileservers i look after at work, and nobody complains about them being slow...

no point spending money on a flash PC when you could just use what you already have.. :)