Installing TV on feature wall

tommy060289

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

Recently completed my first house purchase and will be moving in soon and one of the first jobs I want to carry out is removing a relatively small electric fire place and surround mantle piece and then mount the TV on the feature wall. I had originally had planned to stick a sheet of plaster board over the holes with a small gap behind to run cables but with the wall having some coving at the top Im wondering if it might be easier to bolt the TV straight to the wall but Im not really sure what is behind the wall and how I could get the cables behind the wall.

Some background on the house, it is detached and the feature wall and the wall on which it is mounted is the outside wall. The lounge can be seen in the link below so you can get an idea of what the house is like:

4 bedroom detached house for sale in Applewood Close, Worksop, S81

My main questions are:

1. What is likely behind the wall? Will it be a brick wall or is there likely to be any space to run the cables?
2. Is there likely to be any items behind the wall that might inhibit the wall bracket such as a flu (despite it being an electric fireplace from build).
3. Any other details that I should be aware of?

Cheers,

Tom

Traditional build I believe.

Out of curiosity what difference would this make to the tv installation if it was timber build? (Pretty sure its traditional)

As long as you had a stud or a dwang in the right places wouldn't make any difference. As its trad you will eithwr need to build a false wall or raggle into the plaster to hide cables etc

What would be the best way to raggle the plaster and put the cabling in there?

Would you be best to just carve out a groove with a stanly knife and put in some thin trunking and then repair with some one coat plaster repair like gypsum?

I had a similar set up to your 3 years ago when we moved into out first house. Even though ours is a few years older.
ImageUploadedByAVForums1386778058.365937.jpg

We decide to take the fireplace out and mount a tv on the wall with the cables running behind down and under the floor board to my media cabinet in the corner.
ImageUploadedByAVForums1386778034.447750.jpg

We removed the old fire and surround and boarded up the hole.
We built a frame that sat against the wall using 3x1 batons
ImageUploadedByAVForums1386778005.605225.jpg

And ran the cables through the batons up to the position of the tv.
I boarded it and had it plastered and was very pleased when it was complete! :)
ImageUploadedByAVForums1386777952.931639.jpg

Unfortunately I cant upload anymore pics of the different stages ....?? But I'm sure u get the idea.

Good luck with yours!

S

What would be the best way to raggle the plaster and put the cabling in there?

Would you be best to just carve out a groove with a stanly knife and put in some thin trunking and then repair with some one coat plaster repair like gypsum?
As long as you have the depth to get a bit of trunking in. The size of which will be determined by the no of cables running through it

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom