1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Installing Subwoofer to Pioneer VSX-AX5i-s

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by banyantree, Sep 15, 2004.

Tags:
  1. banyantree

banyantree

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Just invested in a REL Q150E Mk II and have never used a subwoofer before.

I listen to music through my ROTEL CD02 and movies and SACD through a Pioneer 969avi. The CD is connected with a digital coaxial and the Pioneer with the i link.
    The REL has 2 connections. Low level (for movies lfe) and high level (music) and the catalogue indicates that i should connect my high level to my main speaker terminals.
    The dealer whom i bought the Pioneer amp from says the i need only connect the low level since the amp callibrates the sub for me. He says I do not need to use the active sub. The sound from the sub during movies is excellent. However when i listen to music on my ROTEL, I cannot hear the bass for music from the sub.

1) What is the best way to attach the bare wires from the high level to the amplifiers speaker posts? I'm using banana plugs for my Mission speakers?

2) The instructions for the REL say to set the main speakers at LARGE when using a surround sound receiver however the PIONEER manual says set the main speakers to SMALL when using a subwoofer. I'm confused!

3) Will the amplifier recognize what connection to use for the CD player and DVD or will i need to manually adjust this?

4) Do i need to turn off the sub from the mains when i am not using it to save power since there is no on/off switch or does the amp do that for me?

Appreciate any help.

2. Jon

Jon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Mate,

I have the same amp and you have to set the front speakers to small and have it in Stereo, not Direct. I hope this helps!

Cheers

Jon

3. bobbypunk

bobbypunk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Pioneer's amp instructions don't allow for the rare feature on RELs and a few others that allow you to use high and low level together. the high level connects to the two positives and the yellow cable to one of the negatives. Select large for the front speakers and setup without connecting the low level connection. Un plug the high level and connect the low level and setup for low level now plug both in at the same time and make sure you select line and not LFE. Basically follow what REL say!!

4. banyantree

banyantree

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I have connected the high level to the amp as suggested and the sub is now working great with music. Sounds better set on STEREO rather than DIRECT.
    My main speakers though are set at small and were set up with the low level connection WITHOUT the high level connection.
    Now with both connections the sound is excellent for both movies and music.
    I guess its just a matter of what sounds better.