Installing Skystar2 tomorrow, any advice

zAndy1

Outstanding Member
Reaction score
As subject really, should I use the software that comes with it or some other software? I want to get Euro1080 on Astra. To be honest I'm not sure what software comes with it but seems ProgDVB or DVBViewer are the best ones to use, any preference?
Does installing it cause any problems with other software at all?

Cheers
Andy.

I have 2 cards, but neither are SS2 cards.
However, from what I have seen people post on this and other forums, ProgDVB or DVBviewer should work . Ensure that you are using the Elecard software codecs.
You need a reasonably powerful PC to watch HDTV live - 2GHz or higher CPU, 512 MBytes RAM and an AGP card (as opposed to graphics from your motherboard).

Chris Muriel, Manchester.

Thanks for that Chris, how do I know if I'm using the elecard software codecs, do they get installed when I install the SS2 software? As for the PC , it's a P4 2.8C with 512MB Ram and a Radeon 9600 graphics card so hoping it should be ok

Cheers
Andy

Another thing, will installing the elecard codecs mess up anything else e.g. Theatertek for DVD playback.

Cheers
Andy

ALthough they can be manually downloaded & installed
( http://www.elecard.com/download/ )

the codecs should, I believe, be available as part of the installation package for DVBViewer and ProgDVB.
They shouldn't interfere with other codecs in the system.
(You can see which codecs are actaully installed on your system via multimedia properties or using Sysinfo/MSinfo).

Most DVB viewing problems have an option somewhere in the program that allows you to switch codecs.
I often switch between Elecard and ATI/Ravisent codecs within the DVBapps program that I use with my BL & TH cards.

Well, I didn't get very far with this over the weekend due to time constraints but I have managed to get a picture with Euro1080, it's jerky and I haven't got any sound at the moment but it's a start! I'm going to try using the full version of DVB viewer and play around with the graphs , maybe use the elecard decoders (not sure which it's using at the moment). From what I've seen it looks very nice, it would be nice if it wasn't jerky though but I'm sure that'll get sorted with some tweaking..

Cheers
Andy

Hi Andy,
I've only an Athlon 2800 and get smooth playback using MyTheatre 3.12 and the Cyberlink graphs included with it.
It's a free download but limits you to 1 hours use per start until it's registered.
I use an SS1 but in software mode so it should be as an SS2.
Kevin

I wouldn't recommend the Elecard codecs - never got on with them myself.

I'd recommend Intervideo (WinDVD) or just go with the defaults in the full version of DVB Viewer.

My 2.5gHz AMD runs at 16/18% cpu load max for Euro1080.

Best of luck :)

The Sonic/Ravisent codecs work well if you have an ATI Radeon card because they are able to use some hardware acceleration modes built into many Radeon graphics cards.
Unless you have a qualifying card that came free with the card (luckily for me) , they can be downlaoded but cost a nominal fee - $15 rings a bell.
This assumes that your satellite TV tuner software supports the codecs - or that you can add them via Graphedit.

I've got the sonic decoder pack on my PC so I'll probably use those codecs, also using Theatertek which use the Ravisent ones I think so I should be able to use those also... will try later. I don't think the jerkiness is because my PC isn't up to it, just some fine tuning needed

Andy

I can't find the post on here where someone put a picture up of his graph settings, anyone know the one I mean? I'm struggling to be honest, got the full version now but it doesn't seem very intuitive to me. It keeps freezing up but I have managed to get Euro1080 without jerkiness which is some sort of progress... about all I've seen on the channel so far is bloody volleyball though, is that all they show?

Andy

zAndy1,

It might be the post I put up that you are looking for

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=102852

check out the second page for the graph.

I too am sick of volleyball. I have seen very little that would make me want to subscribe to Euro1080. There is also an other HD test transmission on Astra you might want to check out (ASTRAHD). You might also want to try a current version of DVBPortal. This software might just get you up and running without messing around with graphs.

Yep that's the one, thanks for that. I'll give it a try. Might give DVBPortal a try too.

Thanks
Andy

Tried DVBPortal and seem to be having some success with it, only with elecard filters though, the Sonic video filter is very jerky still, not sure why. Another thing, is it possible to use softcam with DVBPortal, tried finding info about it but it seems to be very hard to come by!

Cheers
Andy

quick question zANDY1,

how do you solve the problem with the CA card from euro1080 when using the skystar2 or other similar cards?

does the skystar2 in some way decode the signal, or is it possible to do it with software? or is there a second pci card handling the CA?

As I understand, the skystar is merely a kind of stb in pci form, right?

kenji-san

Euro1080 doesn't need an access card at the moment, when it does it will probably be possible to view it using softcam, to be honest from what I've seen of it so far I won't bother spending any money to watch it, very uninspiring programming, once the HD novelty wears off it becomes very dull very quickly.

Andy

okay,
thanks for the advice, I won't bother with euro1080 yet,then.
One of the reason for me was to be able to watch the european championship football in hd res!:D
On the other hand, I'm not sure if it's gonna be on the main channel at all, or if it's gonna be an event channel exclusive..:confused:
ah well, pal 625 will have to do. ;)
Cheers,
Kenji-san

Hi,

The European Championships will be on euro1080.
Look at their site. But it will be the event channel and I'm afraid encrypted.
Of course, why encrypt if you already pay a licencefee in your homecountry to see it is beyond me !

Originally posted by pietnoeck
why encrypt if you already pay a licencefee in your homecountry to see it is beyond me !

Because via satellite it's available throughout €urope where other broadcasters have the rights.

Also because it's HD - demands a premium ;).

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom