Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Installing Sky in a second room - advice needed

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by Burt25, Apr 24, 2005.

1. Burt25

Burt25
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I wish to set up for Sky in a second room using a magic eye and distribution box in the loft. My main TV is connected to a triplex ariel socket. Can someone tell me how to wire the second Tv up - I have second socket and cable wired back to loft redy for connection. :confused: Also are there different types of Magic Eye / Distributuin Boxes? Should I buy one make as oppsed to another?

2. UKseless1

UKseless1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    I hate having wires all over the house, have you thought about using something like a Digisender? Usually cost around £60 for one transmitter and one receiver single and you can buy additional receivers if you want to go to other rooms.

3. Burt25

Burt25
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was on satcure's website today and saw the information on Digisenders - question is how will sound / picture quality compare with the cabled option? -I am attracted by the fact that I will get stereo. Was thinking of picking one of these units up from Argos and taking it back if I'm not satisfied with the quality.

4. UKseless1

UKseless1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    I suppose it depends on how critical an eye you have. It does transmit stereo and I find the picture transmitted to be very acceptable, but then I'm only sending it to a 21" TV and I only have humble requirements. Take your own advice and pick one up, try it out and if you don't like it, take it back.

5. crdorey

crdorey
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Burt,

I just installed a system supplied by www.studio-systems.co.uk - it uses an adapter plugged into one of the two SCART sockets on the Sky receiver, and then a standard Cat5 network cable (just the cable, no actual network required :) ) plugged into that - you then run the network cable to the remote location where there is a second SCART connector, and IR receiver, plugged into the TV. It passes both remote control signals back to the Sky box, and TV signal (w/ stereo sound) to the TV. I actually have mine connected through more than 40 metres of cable to a projector, and the picture quality is superb.

I have played around - and wasted money (my humble opinion) - on wireless systems, and this far outperforms any that I have seen.

A minor hassle of running the cable, for a great result.

6. GOODMAP

GOODMAP
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    How much is one of these and did you go for the TV-401 or TV-402?
    This looks like a good alternative to a video sender or loftbox distribution centre. Cheers.

7. crdorey

crdorey
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've actually got a mix of the two, a TVT-402 at the Sky box, and a TVR-401 at the projector end (this has composite video and audio L/R outputs instead of a SCART connection). Total price was around £110.

I know, I know it's more ££ than the wireless stuff available, but once it's cabled in it's almost invisible, and works faultlessly.

I have since cabled for a second installation and then I just have to find someone who wants to buy an almost-new Philips video sender and two receivers !

PS .. if you are not sure which is the best one for you, send them a mail - I found them very helpful.

Cheers.

8. mark88

mark88

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    where did you buy it from? the resellers listed on the site don't seem to carry any info on it, one is a 404 error

9. crdorey

crdorey
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I got it directly from www.studio-systems.co.uk.

I mailed them for info and once we decided what exactly I needed, they generated a Paypal request for me.

The guy I spoke with was John (johns@studio-systems.co.uk).