• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Installing OS on Advent DHE 2000

walleee

Hey folks, just recieved my advent, and while installing drivers have managed to corrupt the XP MCE that it came with.

Im now struggling to re-install.

I have selected the CD room as first boot, it says press any key to boot from CD but then goes to what it would say if I did not have the cd in at all 'windows cannot star because the following file is missing or corrupt: system32\drivers\pci.sys

you can attempt to repair this file by starting windows setup using the original set-up cd ROM
select 'r' at the first screen to start repair.'.....which of course I dont have....

I am trying to use a performance edition of XP but i dont hink tha is my problem, despite pressing any key it keeps trying to load the original installation, can anyone help?

pretty scundered after thinking i was coming home to a bit of gaming or HD movies tonight....

walleee

hmmm, looking into it a bit more it seems standard xp discs wont boot SATA drives. Going to try and see if I can get a bootable disc for SATA, fingers crossed!!

walleee

cheers graham, that link describes my problem perfectly, unfortunately i remains unresolved,

ried another copy of XP which seems to be SATA friendly and still no joy.

I'll try again tomorrow with a fresh head on and if im still unsuccessful will take you up on your offer of sending the disc you used.

Thanks for your help so far!

walleee

got it! was using a USB keyboard, switched to PS2 and worked straight away!

walleee

cant get wireless working though using the drivers on the CD, and can't find any online :(

dirty sanchez

I think I remmeber taking the wifi card out to look at the serial nr/markings on it and using those as a search before finalling finding a driver that would work

walleee

success!

Found them after a good search on google!

Thanks again Graham for all your help! rest assured your feedback will be good!!

Also you were correct about the card moving a little, which explains why it wouldn't show in device manager originally, but the drivers were indeed not easy to find!

now to find some suitable software and movies to watch!

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom