Installing new Sky+HD Cables

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by angela9571, Feb 6, 2009.

1. angela9571

angela9571
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi folks. I pre-registered for Sky+HD having now purchased an HD ready plasma tv and received an email today to say the new box is ready and to complete my order online. Before I do this, I needed some advice.

Currently, we have a standard original Sky box. The Sky cable runs down from the dish, through the attic, and is embedded down the lounge wall and the end comes out just above the skirting board. When you get Sky+HD, I know there will be a new HD cable needed to be fitted, but would it be possible for the new cable to run down the outside of the house and come in through the brick wall into the lounge just next to where the existing cable comes out? We can't remove the existing cable obviously and we don't want a new visible HD cable running down the lounge wall. Or is it possible for the Sky Engineer to adapt the existing cable? I did ring them, and they said using the existing cable may limit the HD box services - eg not being able to record one channel and watch another..... Any advice would be appreciated before I go ahead and order the darn thing. Thanks.

2. Piers

Piers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +230
    You will need a new cable (actually it is 2 cables, usually bundled together as one) and the Sky installer should run it down the outside of the house then in through the wall.

3. jwball

jwball

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    There are no special HD cables from your dish, they are all the same standard coax cable.

If I understand your setup correctly it sounds like the engineer will simply run an additional feed to the dish as near as he can get to the existing one.

Of course this will have to run outside as you say.

4. angela9571

angela9571
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your replies, guys. Further quick question though: our house is high up and very exposed to the wind. We've just had the lounge rennovated - from plasterwork to decorated - so wondered how big the hole would be which would be getting drilled (presumably from the inside out? or would it be from the outside in?). The new hole would surely create a major draft, no? The wall is quick thick.

Alternatively, maybe just upgrade to Sky+ if the existing buried Sky cable in the wall is re-usable and an additional Sky+ cable is not required to be run???

5. GasDad

GasDad
    Remembered (1964-2012)

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +758
    There is no difference between the cables for HD and normal Sky+

The problem is both Sky+ and Sky HD need two cables to work fully. You only have one.

The installer should drill from the inside out. There will be no draft.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2009
  6. angela9571

angela9571
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That's good to hear. When you live with a perfectionist joiner (carpenter) who has went to the bother of applying expandable foam along the floor, before nailing on the new skirting boards to reduce the drafts, you'll understand why we were concerned about a new hole being created for a cable, lol!! So if there's no chance the hole will be any bigger than it needs to be, we should be alright then. Thanks. :)

7. GasDad

GasDad
    Remembered (1964-2012)

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +758
    Look at it like this - if you were being paid to drill holes to put cables through, would you drill them any bigger than they need to be ?

He (or she) will also fill the hole with sealant to make it watertight.

8. angela9571

angela9571
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :) ... ha ha! in theory, no!! But you see,when you are a construction industry contractor, you see all standards of sub contracting workmanship - some folk take pride in their work and make a really neat job, others, ah, not so much!!

I remember whenever it was we first got Sky analogue, the "cowboy" subcontractors, dubbed by other customers as J R Ewing, who came to fit the big dish, left us with nothing but German/French channels, as they had positioned the dish wrong and left some very large holes on the outside wall, after trying to re-position it!! Sky eventually appointed one of their own engineers to come out and he couldn't believe what a mess the other guys had made. That Company was eventually struck off Sky's sub contracting list.

So just trying to understand how it all works from you lovely people on this forum!! :thumbsup:

(Not saying it will be a sub contractor, but don't know that it won't!!).

9. scatterbug

scatterbug

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +745
    The only person guaranteed to be careful and do a good job is yourself. I would expand the existing hole myself rather than let an installer do it.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2009
  10. bobsplace

bobsplace

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    Its a true fact.

I always drill from the inside to out,easier to
    repair plaster than bricwork plus the inside is nearly always hidden.