1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Installing new graphics card, but there's no driver disc!!.. Help..

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Iain Shields, May 24, 2004.

1. Iain Shields

Iain Shields

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi folks, thanks for looking in...

I've just recieved one of these 9800pro cards http://www.lowestonweb.com/Products/DisplayInfoMain.asp?e=2F99A0AD-B9A8-470B-B643-2A672531F699 and have found that it dosn't come with any drivers on a disc :confused: (I ordered it before the mini reviews were posted)

This is my first time instaling a graphics card so would be very gratefull if somebody could give me a bit of a "walk through"

A bit of info... I've got a MSI Nforce2 mobo with onboard graphics. I've also got a couple of last months pc gaming magazines which seem to have the latest radeon drivers on it, but I don't know when to load them in, or if I have to remove any of the InVidia drivers (onboard gfx).

Hope somebody can help... thanks in advance.

Regards,
    Iain.

2. Pack Dude

Pack Dude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +98
    hi
    Of the top of my head i would say

Uninstall the Invidia drivers turn of the PC
    Fit you new video card and reboot, depending on your moherboard you might have to go into the BIOS and turn of your onboard video card.

Restart the PC, windows will tell you there is new hardware installed and try and install software at this point just press cancel.

Get the CD with the Radeon drivers and install from that. I think you will just have to double click on "setup" or whatever and take it from there.

Hope this helps

3. Iain Shields

Iain Shields

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks mate, I'll try that out tonight and post back later...

4. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ATI are releasing new drivers almost monthly now so I'd suggest downloading their latest driver "suite". It's approx. 22/25 megabytes IIRC.

As stated above, don't let Windows install anything, just run the ATI setup.

Best of luck.

5. Iain Shields

Iain Shields

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    It worked a treat, thanks very much :smashin:

It was alot less of an undertaking than I thought, I was mostly worried that the card wouldn't display anything untill the drivers were loaded, probably a stupid thought now that I think about it... :blush:

Thanks for the tip on the "suite" Kramer, I take it I can just download this from ATI's website? (p.s. Nice projector reviews)

Anyway, thanks again,

Regards,
    Iain.