Installing Motorised 1m Dish on Flat Roof?

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by Mehdi72, Aug 17, 2012.

1. Mehdi72

Mehdi72

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I'm due to move into a block of flats in a few months and want to take over my 1m motorised dish (see photos). I've already got permission from the landlord. The flats have a flat roof. What are the best options for fitting the dish? A bracket on a wall and a mast above the roof or would it be better to get the dish fitted on the roof itself?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 17, 2012
  2. Chris Muriel

Chris Muriel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +763
    You don't explain which way the dish would be orientated with respect to the new location.
    Why put the mast above roof height when that just exposes it to more wind and rain and makes it much more inaccessible ?
    The back of my house faces roughly south and my 1.8 metre Chgannelmaster offset dish brackets are mounted on the wall - specially made heavy duty brackets that stand it off sufficiently for the dish to cover 42ºE to 45ºW.
    The pole's weight is supported by some seasoned wood on top of the flat roof and a 36 volt actuator is attached to the dish.
    There will be far less strain on the motor (and brackets) if you can get the roof to support the weight in this manner.

3. Ghostleader

Ghostleader

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +399
    Thats a nice dish mate is it a Orbital?

4. Mehdi72

Mehdi72

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I want to pick up the satellites from 4.8E - 30W. IF there's sufficient space between the windows of each flat then there won't be an issue and I can get my dish and bracket moved over but if there isn't I don't want neighbouring flats to complain about seeing a dish out of their window that's why I thought it would be best to have the dish above roof height.

How is the pole attatched to the wood?

5. Mehdi72

Mehdi72

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Yep. Orbital 1m dish, Cryptik H-H mount. I cannot say enough good things about the fitter. He provided all the kit and did a terrific job.

6. Blu4KHD

Blu4KHD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +427
    Non-penetrating roof mount with 4 heavy paving flags that is of course if the roof is flat, Block of flats normally have a concrete roof anyway so shouldn't be a problem

7. Chris Muriel

Chris Muriel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +763
    It's a flat piece of wood and the pole sits on it to take the vertical weight (downthrust). The pole itself is about 11 Cms diameter and the brackets stand it off from the wall by about 39 inches.