1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Installing MCE2005 on 2nd hard drive

Discussion in 'Microsoft Windows' started by zAndy1, Aug 22, 2005.

1. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,971
    Hi,
    I've got 2 Hard drives in my PC and I'd like to install MCE2005 on the 2nd hard drive. Anyone else done this? I'd like to have the choice of booting into Win XP or MCE2005 at start up. When I install MCE I presume I just tell it which drive letter to install it to (the 2nd hard drive is in 3 partitions). Do I need to disconnect my master drive with Win XP on while I do the install. Is there any problems with doing this?

Cheers,
    Andy.

2. lisag

lisag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +368
    Yes, that should work ok, IIRC you don't actually get drive letters during the windows install, just information about the size of the available partitions.

To be on the safe side, I would disconnect the IDE cable from the drive with XP on and boot the PC using the MCE disc, then install MCE on the partition you want on the second hard drive. This way you won't accidentally install MCE over XP.

You can then re-connect your IDE cable to the original hard drive, and on start up both OS's should be recognised and you should be given a choice of which one you want to boot to.

The only problem may be that the drive letters will all be different depending on what OS you are in - but they can be re-mapped if that becomes problematic.

lisa

3. meansizzler

meansizzler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +266
    I take it that your master drive is the C: Drive, trouble is if you install windows mce on your secondary drive, which will not be the C; drive, then some stuff such as drivers will be installed on the C; drive, so it would be kinda pointless installing it on there, may I ask why you you need two OS's,
    If you want to go to the two OS route, then you could install windows ME on your C; drive then once that is installed then you can install windows MCE over that, then you will have a choice of OS's to boot from, and it works pretty Well.., but be warned if you use SATA drives then it can be a nightmare, expecially when mapping your drive letters, I suggest if your using a SATA dive as your primary boot drive then go into your motherboard's Bios and select the SATA drive as your primary drive to boot followed by your other drives and secondary and so on...Also from experience do not Partition your C:/Primary drive, as you do not want any performance loss especially if recording TV, I advise you to make all your recordings to a secondary drive and make sure your hard drives are on seperate IDE cable, i.e no master an slave on the same ide cable/channel just a master, this way you would not get any drop in performance...

4. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,971
    'You can then re-connect your IDE cable to the original hard drive, and on start up both OS's should be recognised and you should be given a choice of which one you want to boot to'

How will this work? I would have thought if the drive with Win XP on is the the master drive then it would just boot into WinXP, how will it know that MCE is on the 2nd hard drive?

They're not SATA drives just IDE.

'trouble is if you install windows mce on your secondary drive, which will not be the C; drive, then some stuff such as drivers will be installed on the C; drive'

That's the reason I suggested disconnecting the other hard drive (C:, D: and E: on it) before doing the install of MCE2005, won't it then just put the drivers etc on the partition I install it on?

Cheers,
    Andy.

5. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,971
    Oh and I want to install both as my current WinXP install is stable and has been for a long time and I don't want to cock anything up, just wanted MCE on the other HD so I could boot into that primarily for use with the Xbox 360 media centre extender functionality

Cheers
    Andy

6. evolution400

evolution400

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    There is no need to unplug your XP drive until after MCE is installed windows will ask you which drive you want to install MCE on you make sure you select the correct drive then after the MCE installation is complete before it bootsinto MCE for 1st time then make sure you unplug your XP drive and boot into MCE after you have booted into MCE for the 1st time the C: is assigned to the MCE drive you may then plug back in your XP drive and carry on installing MCE.

7. lisag

lisag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +368
    Yes, good point, I have had two OS's on the same machine before, but they were on the same master drive - different partitions. On start up the pc recognised two MBR's (master boot records, I think) and presents a menu, asking which one you want to boot to. I imagine there is a way to do this using two separate hard drives, but I am not sure what settings you would need to change.

NOTE: this would be two entirely separate windows installations, so all the drivers, settings, windows updates, virus software, network settings etc, etc, etc will need to be independently installed and managed on both OS's.

lisa

8. DaveP

DaveP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You MUST have both drives connected or you will have to swap your boot drive in the Bios every time you want to swap OS's.

XP will then install a Boot Manager and you can then select a default boot option with a time out to allow you to change.

Whichever OS you choose will have the drive it is installed upon called the C drive and the other will become the D etc.

If you have multiple partitions on multiple drives it gets complicated if you have configured primary partitons on both drives! It's advisable to always creat an extended partition on any additional drives.

When you install MCE make sure you chose the correct partition or you will overwrite your existing XP installation.

Dave

9. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,971
    It's ok, I've been put off enough already lol! I think I might just forget that little idea for now...

10. nigelbb

nigelbb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +490
    You have been given so many incorrect answers & misinformation here that I'm not surprised that you have been put off:)

TBH there's not much point in dual-booting MCE as you want MCE to be up all the time (or in standbye waiting to awaken) ready to record TV programmes. It's much better to devote a system to MCE & it doesn't need to be a very highly specified system. I'm running an Athlon XP 2000+ system & am in the process of replacing it with a 2.8GHz Celeron system bought complete for the equivalent of 200 pounds. Of course I aleady have the TV cards, remote control & extra 250GB disk but even if I had to buy them new the total cost would be well under 400 pounds. Not quite enough grunt for HDTV but ample for recording two TV channels while watching a previous recording.