Installing MCE on a second hard drive

gweaver

Standard Member
Hello everyone,

I've done a search for this on the forum and couldn't find what I was looking for so I'll ask.

I have an XBOX 360 running through my plasma TV that I want to make full use of. I have two 160Gb hard drives in my PC, the primary has Windows XP installed and the second drive is just for backup.

My question is, if I disconnect my primary disk and install Windows MCE on the second, then reconnect my primary disk - when I start up my PC do I automatically get the option to choose which operating system I want to boot from?

Thanks in advance,

Gavin

Rambles

Distinguished Member
Don't disconnect the drives, just install MCE on a secondary partition and Windows will give you a boot menu.

jinky32

yup, i've done exactly what you are going to do - xp on one drive and mce on another - it gives you the option when you boot as to which you want. you'll probably realise a few weeks down the line that you might as well just have MCE to be honest - MCE has all the features of XP, but in addition it has the MCE feature.

Soon i think i'll get rid of the pure xp boot and just go MCE

gweaver

Standard Member
I'm not going to be using MCE to watch live TV because I have Sky+ for that. Is it easy to get high quality (preferably HD) video to stream to my TV? I don't want to spend £80 on MCE if all it does for me is allow me to watch a few video clips that look cack on a 43 inch screen.

What kind of content does everyone else have on their MCE PC's??

Thanks,

Gavin

jinky32

if i wanted to install mce over an exsting xp can i just use the 'repair' option and replace it with mce? or do i need to format an reinstall from scratch?

Rambles

Distinguished Member
jinky32 said:
if i wanted to install mce over an exsting xp can i just use the 'repair' option and replace it with mce? or do i need to format an reinstall from scratch?
Format and re-install

Rambles

Distinguished Member
gweaver said:
I'm not going to be using MCE to watch live TV because I have Sky+ for that. Is it easy to get high quality (preferably HD) video to stream to my TV? I don't want to spend £80 on MCE if all it does for me is allow me to watch a few video clips that look cack on a 43 inch screen.

What kind of content does everyone else have on their MCE PC's??

Thanks,

Gavin
Gavin - you probably don't need Windows MCE, just use normal XP and some nice software like Theatertek or VLC.

TheCrow

In my experiance you can find issues if MCE is not on the C: drive.
It and some other poorly written software default to looking for things on C: and get upset if the O/S and Programs folder are on D: etc.

Sunshinewelly

Distinguished Member
I have a dual boot system and have WMCE on the second hard drive in my system.

The reason he wants WMCE is assume is that he wants to stream through the xbox360 (the exact reason i wanted WMCE for).

By simply putting WMCE on the second hard drive you will not get into any difficulties regarding drivers etc.

Keep the XP installation as i find that when using WMCE it takes up a lot of my system resources. Therefore for gaming etc boot up XP and when you want to stream shut down XP and boot up WMCE.

Hi def films are cracking through the 360 and onto my 50inch samsung DLP screen.

gweaver

Standard Member
FGEvans,

That's exactly the reason I wanted MCE. My PC is not near my sky box anyway and I've got sky+ for that. I'm going to have to pull the edge of the carpet up and run an ethernet cable from my PC to my router first.

Where's the best places to go for HD material then?

Cheers,

Gavin

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Samsung TV Launch & QN95A Neo QLED Review, plus Film & TV news & Reviews
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom