1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Installing MCE 2005

Discussion in 'Microsoft Windows' started by jon stallard, Mar 22, 2005.

1. jon stallard

jon stallard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've searched the archives but could see a reply to this so here goes:

I installed from a newly purchased set of CD's at the weekend (after quite a long time of carefully buying my hardware - one bit at a time :) )

I've installed a fair few editions of XP in my time (as a keen amatuer I might add, not IT person) so was a bit perplexed by some of the things I couldn't do. So could someone just comment on the following as I think I'm getting the right idea but just need some pointers.

After installing the second disc, it asked me for winXP service pack 2 disc. Luckily I'd picked a copy up from the counter of my place of purchase (Novatech) but the installation wasn't having any of it so had to cancel that part of the installation. However, after a reboot from the completed MCE2005, I then tried the SP2 CD and it installed great heaps of files on the hard drive.

I don't understand why a new version of MCE2005 should be asking for a service pack? Currently XP as an OEM for instance say's that SP2 is included.

Also, I noticed I can install hardware and download the drivers from a CD but it wont allow me to install the software from the CD. It will frequently give an error message RPC unavailable. This made me stop and think. Am I looking at this the wrong way, maybe I shouldn't be thinking normal PC at all. Also the normal help feature is disabled or not installed although I noticed windows update is now a seperate menu.

In the end, I thought I'd leave it all alone with connection to my network still to be done and the media center setup still to be started. I enjoy learning so thought I'd spend this week trying to glean what I could from various sources before I start again this easter weekend.

So any hints and pointers would be gratefully received.

2. Derek22

Derek22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Hi,

can answer your first question, I purchased and installed MCE2005 around January 2005. Service Pack two was on one of the disks supplied and during the install it just prompted you to put in disk N.

will check the number of disks supplied tonight and provide any further info. But looks like your copy may predate this version. I should point out my version was OEM, but as you mention OEM I assume yours is also.

As far as I am aware MCE2005 is basically windows XP Professional with a few additions and to get full MCE functionality you need to make sure everything is fully MCE compliant, from DVD decoders, graphics cards right through to tvtuners. But having said that I cant get remote desktop working under MCE even though the option exists like XP pro, so maybe I am missing something.

3. gordonfmoore

gordonfmoore

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    When it asks for sp2 just stick disk 1 back in. (Its a bit pathetic of ms really isn't it, billions of dollars available and can't even number a disk properly!)

4. Xelon

Xelon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +53
    Actually MCE 2005 is based on XP Home wSP2 and the MCE add inns, hence you have the same limitations, ie Cannot join a Domain or log in with cached credentials.

BTW I also tried to install MCE2005 without success, kept prompting for Disk swaps then SP2, when complete it just appeared as a normal XP install with no MCE Front End.

5. mitrestreet

mitrestreet
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would start again from scratch. The procedure is as follows:

Disc 1
    Disc 2
    Disc 1 again (this is what is being asked for when you get the prompt to install "winXP service pack 2 disc")

You should then have a good install - notwithstanding the issues that Derek22 points out re having supported peripherals.

I hope this helps.

6. hebawom

hebawom
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah, I luckily guessed that the prompt meant put disc 1 back in since this is the XP disc, but poor instructions. As to the no MCE front-end, go into acessories on the start menu and find media center shortcut - paste this into start-up in My Documents, and the MCE front-end will load when you turn your computer on

7. jon stallard

jon stallard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply. Yes the discs were OEM. I nearly got refused by the salesgirl who seemed quite pleased to be able to tell me I couln't have it! The lad next to her said I could buy it which made her quite annoyed!

There are two disc's. It could be that as it was disc 2 inserted at the time, SP2 could have been on disc 1.... but the message said insert disc xp pro SP2..... anyway, I didn't think of that possibility.

Thankfully, all my hardware is on the compliant list although I have to confess that one item is more by accident (Twinhan TV card).

My concern though was as you said, it's win XP pro with additions and my copy seems to be XP pro minus some of it's features and then plus the media centre stuff, hence my confusion.

It's all part of the fun though..... :suicide:

8. DaveP

DaveP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As mitrestreet says, your best bet is to start again from scratch. Delete the partition, re-create and format with NTFS.

There is no way of telling what may have happened by stopping the install.

Dave

9. lisag

lisag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +296
    Yes, I'll third that!
    Was doing this at the weekend, It took about 4 hours to get everything back and set-up properly :eek:

A tip with the drivers - don't let windows install anything automatically, download all the latest MCE approved drivers (motherboard / sound / graphics card / tv card) from the manufacturers official websites, and install them yourself one at a time and with lots of re-booting in between. There are lots of new driver releases about and best to use the most up to date ones if you can.

10. markxtc123

markxtc123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Actually MCE 2005 is based on XP-Pro but with domain log on disabled/removed. Remote desktop access (part of XP-Pro) does work, its how the media extenders communicate with the mother ship!

11. stuartmc

stuartmc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    MCE2005 is definitely XP Pro. If you installed it without re-inputting the first disk again correctly it will install a full version of XP Pro wihtout the limitations.

MS say they had to remove the Domain capability as it is incompatible with fast-user switching which is a requirement for using with Extenders. There are a couple of hacks floating around to use the domain capability, one at installation and one after. Once on a domain though the extenders won't work which confirms the above. Of course less magnanamous individuals might suggest that with the domain joing capability intact you could buy XP Pro in MCE for considerably less than a normal XP Pro.

12. cduk2006

cduk2006

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All,

I've just been reading this thread regarding the strange install of MCE2005 using OEM CDs. I have just puchased the latest MCE2005 system and proceeded to install it in my system at home.

I have previously formatted and installed XP Pro on my other systems so I knew what to do/what to expect - or at least I thought I did ...

I too had the sp2 request after disk 2 had completed its install. In my confusion (at 2am! after going through my second repair run!) I dug out my own xp pro sp2 disk - I had to take the system to completion which ended up looking like Win 2k with a few things broken like IE and Windows Help. I ran the installer for the sp2 and made a copy of the extracted files. I then cancelled the installer and ran through a windows repair again but when it asked for sp2 this time I just located the files I had copied from the sp2 installer. This seemed to work fine but when everything was finally installed I attempted to use the 2005 updates disk and it said I needed to have MCE2005 for it to install. Funny - wasn't that just what I had installed??

I checked my system properties and it says I'm running MCE2002!!

I was just wondering if there was any kind of patch I suppose to enable the system to run as 2005 - a bit of a pain if I have to reformat and start from scratch as per some of the instructions in this thread.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

13. dejongj

dejongj
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,481
    Just reinstall, I would never trust the patched installation....I doesn't take long really....

14. jaymz

jaymz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    Taken from www.mediapc.tv build instructions, could not link directly.

Installing XP Media Center Edition

- Insert Windows Media Center Disc 1 in the DVD drive and reboot.

- At Welcome to Setup screen press 'Enter' and wait...

- When the Licence agreement appears press 'F8'

- Hit Enter to Install on Unpartitioned Space (assuming new Hard Drive).

- Format the Partition using 'NTFS File System' - It is NOT recommended to format using Quick.

- Wait......

- Install will continue until you will be presented with some language options. Set the following:

Select Customise

Select Regional Options

Set Standards And Formats : United Kingdom

Set Location : United Kingdom

Click OK

Select Advanced

Set Languages for Non-Unicode Programs : English (United Kingdom)

Click OK

Select Text Input Details

Remove US Keyboard.

Click OK

Click OK to warning message

- Click Next

- When Presented with Name, Organisation enter your details.

- Next type in key and passowrd details

- Set time date and time zone

- Network Settings : Typical

- When prompted insert Disc 2 and contrinue

- When disc 2 has finished you will be prompted to insert 'Windows XP Professional Service Pack 2 CD' - at this stage insert 'Windows XP MCE Disc 1'

- Follow the instructions until MCE is installed

15. cduk2006

cduk2006

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks guys for your advice and helps it's really appreciated.

I will have another go at the weekend I think now that I am armed with this information.

Would it really kill the production team at Microsoft just to put a little note with the install disks so people know!

Cheers :thumbsup:

16. marty2005

marty2005

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +155
    My copy of MCE 2005 is on a single cd with sp2 built in.
    I had to update .net to 1.1sp before installing rollup 2.

I have an Asus tv card to receive freeview.
    This also has an svhs and composite input like most cards.

How to I switch inputs to SVHS so I can record from $ky?

On my video and tv it's just a matter of pressing the AV button.

How do I do it on MCE2005 or is there a plug in ?

Thanks...

17. nigelbb

nigelbb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +479
    Sorry but it can't be done. There are three problems. Firstly that card does not have an onboard hardwdare-based MPEG2 encoder for analogue capture as required by MCE. Secondly MCE only supports one programme guide & thus one programme source so you cannot mix digital & analogue. Thirdly that card can be digital _or_ analogue. It cannot be both at the same time.

18. dejongj

dejongj
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,481
    Wow a slipstreamed version of MCE 2005, when did you buy that? I didn't MS did those versions, must be pretty new...Strange that they didn't slipstream .net 1.1, nor RU2....

19. SaberMan

SaberMan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had exactly the same problems as cduk2006 this weekend. Thanks this this thread I'm going to try the installation again inserting CD 1 :). I'd be intrested to know how your restallation went?

20. bytesize

bytesize

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Hi Guys,

Just to say that I have just bought a shuttle from a friend two months old and with it he has the orignal MCE 2005 so will be installing this evening and will let you know how it goes.

:D

21. nigelbb

nigelbb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +479
    That's normal for MCE 2005. The first disk of the two disk set is Windows XP with SP2 hence the confusing message during MCE installation to put the XP SP2 disk in the drive.

22. dejongj

dejongj
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,481
    But my response was to the statement that his copy was a single disk. As you say yourself it is a two disk set, or even a three disc set when you have the official sonicencoders.msi....