Installing Low Voltage downlights - advice please

FunkyMunkey

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I'm going to put four of these low voltage downlights into my Kitchen ceiling this week, and I need a little advice.

The lights are on a loop in-loop out circuit, and I understand that I have to replace the existing ceiling rose with a junction box like this:

LVLighting.jpg

I have a couple of questions:
  1. The junction box should be 5 amp, right?
  2. If I want to put 35W bulbs in the downlights, would a 50-300VA transformer such as this one be appropriate?
  3. That transformer says that the output leads should be 2m max. Does this mean that the max distance between the transformer and the 4th downlight is 2m?
  4. If I want each downlight to have a seperate transformer, how do I wire it? I assume I don't just put a transformer between each light.

I've wired mains voltage downlights before, but not low-voltage. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Last edited:
Anyone?! :lease:

There must be dozens of people on here who've done an installation like this. I've had a thorough look and can't find the answers to these questions.

I was thinking it should go something like this:

Lightingwithjunctionboxes.jpg

Does this seem about right?

Last edited:
Kitchens come under special zone within Part P regulations. Therefore doing it yourself would be illegal. And to be really honest, with the questions youre asking I would get a professional in anyway! No offence intended, but you needed to know before you continue!

# If I want to put 35W bulbs in the downlights, would a 50-300VA transformer such as this one be appropriate?

Yes, that's fine.

# That transformer says that the output leads should be 2m max. Does this mean that the max distance between the transformer and the 4th downlight is 2m?

It says, the secondary output leads should have a maximum length of 2m, so yes the furthest A lamp can be is 2 metres - you could always have the transformer between both sets of lights, that way, the two furthest lights can be 4 metres apart! (The reason for the 2m limit: (Electronic transformers operate at high frequencies (30-40 kHz). The cable between the transformer and lamp will act like an antenna sending out radio noise. To keep this noise within approved limits, only cables with a maximum length of 2 m are permitted.))

The loop-in loop-out refers to the wiring of the mains (primary) into the transformer (loop-in), and the loop-out, is the secondary (low voltage) wiring coming out.

# If I want each downlight to have a seperate transformer, how do I wire it? I assume I don't just put a transformer between each light.

Yes, I would stick a separate transformer between each light. Check ebay for some cheap transformers if you decide to go down this route - they're only about 4 quid a pop.

ps. you're safer wiring with a low-voltage transformer, be that, one for each lamp, or one transformer for all - at the end of the day, if you do manage to mess-up on the low voltage end of things (unlikely), then at most you blow the transformer (no big deal!) (though the better (expensive!) ones should have a safety cut out!) or the lights don't work. If you've wired mains voltage before - this will be a lot easier.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom