1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

installing lcd screen in bathroom....help!

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by theprince1127, Jun 10, 2005.

1. theprince1127

theprince1127
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm hoping someone can shed some light on a more cost effective way of installing a lcd screen in the bathroom. I am aware of a few manufacturers of said screens but they come in at over a 1000 pounds. I am considering mounting a conventional lcd screen in a purpose built which will be tiled from the front with a cut-out section for the viewing area. I will then seal the front of the screen with a thick sheet of anti-reflective, anti-misting glass using a rubber gasket as the water seal. The unit will then be controlled using a powermid set-up. As the unit will be sited in the cupboard i will have the opppertunity to seal the unit againt most of the moisture in the bathroom - or at least i hope so. Does anyone have any experience of installing something similar and more importantly do you think it can work?

thanks

2. neilball

neilball

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +491
    You are describing pretty much what has been built by triCustom - see triCustom.co.uk/spa.htm This is a housing designed to take a 15" Sharp LCD unit and even has a window for IR receiver. The housing is designed to be retrofitted and the stainless steel frame and glass get siliconed on after tiling. Does not include the LCD TV so you can shop around on the net for the best price. Could be just what you are looking for.

3. shahedz

shahedz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,203
    i think the glass would have to be slightly heated to prevent the steam from the shower or bath steaming up on it, have you considered this? otherwise i think it would steam up similar to mirrors.

4. neilball

neilball

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +491
    The heat from the TV in a partially sealed enclosure is enough to stop the steaming up in my experience unless the room is very cold to begin with.

5. theprince1127

theprince1127
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for your response guys. I'll check the link in a minute. Yes i had thought about the glass steaming and was planning to have a anti-mist coating applied to the glass. The other option is to use a heat pad (similar to that used for heated mirrors)

whatever i do decide i'll let you know, at least othrs may be able to learn from my mistakes

6. Karl-d-audio

Karl-d-audio

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Im probably too late but here is an ideal solution for well under £1000 cant remember how much. Here is the distributer who will advise you of a suitable supplier (awe-europe.co.uk/custom_lcd.htm) it is only 12" but its shower proof, atractive and has speakers built in.

Hope that helps

Karl