Installing Freesat in Paris

Hi Guys, thanks for all your input. Built a wooden frame today held down with breeze blocks, mounted dish and eureka i have Freesat. Hope the wind doesn't get up in the night cos i've left it outside. Next stop Paris and those darn trees. Anyway thanks again for all the help. KSS :clap:
PS 80 cm does look big against my other (nameless) elliptical dish.
First time i've seen HD. Pretty darn cool.

If people can't take a joke they shouldn't join! :laugh:
Agreed, though there's a problem - knowing what's meant as a joke and what isn't.

Pretty much :D. Boot Google Earth, enter 0N, 28.2 E. Zoom in to ground zero, zoom out to 22000 mls and admire the view :rotfl:

About 307 miles due West of Kompala, Uganda,

Followed your instructions GT but all I got was an optional list of Canadian addresses.

:lesson: I managed to trace the satellite’s position over the equator by entering Astra 1N on Dishpointer.com.

Zoom out then drag the map and follow the pointer line down to its origin in the Democratic Republic of the Congo. – Then zoom in again.

Unfortunately, Dishpointer does not give an "elevation" above ground level but for those wanting to see the view enjoyed by Astra 1N at 28.2º East of South –

In Google Earth, type in (or copy & paste) 0.030899 28.226747

This should pinpoint The Maiko National Park at a point roughly 20 miles east of Angumo.

Zoom out till the "Eye altitude" (bottom right corner) reads 22,000 miles.
…………………………​

For Astra 1 at 19.2º East of South, enter 0.015684 19.213502

This location is about 70 miles east of Mbanaka.

Not sure of exact altitude of the satellite but it is probably similar to Astra 1N.

Vin Blanc :smashin:

Not sure of exact altitude of the satellite but it is probably similar to Astra 1N.

Vin Blanc :smashin:

They all have to be the same geosynchronous altitude (22236 mls). If they weren't the orbit period would not be identical to the Earths rotation (1 sidereal day ( 23.934461223 hours) and therefore would not appear stationary to an observer on the Earths surface.

First suggested by Arthur C Clarke and now known as the Clarke belt.

They all have to be the same geosynchronous altitude (22236 mls).

Sorry to be a pain GT, but if the satellites are all at the same height, (which seems to be a very logical statement).

Why does Astra 1 at 19.2 E require 3.2° (1353 miles) more dish elevation than Astra 1N ?

Following figures from Dishpointer.com for my location.

Astra 1 at 19.2 East = elevation 28.6° - distance 38,739 km (from my back yard)

Astra 1N at 28.2° E = elevation 25.4° - distance 39,032 km (from my back yard)

Give or take a yard or two – excuse the pun! :D

Vin Blanc

All the satellites visible from the UK appear as a visible arc with it's highest point due South. If you were trying to lock on a satellite that was due South that would have the highest elevation. The more Easterly or Westerly than due South the lower the elevation from your location. The height isn't the distance from you it's the altitude directly over the equator.

19.2E is closer to due South than 28.2E so it will appear higher from your location. If you had a dish on the equator the visible arc will start at the Eastern horizon, go directly over your head and finish at the Western horizon.

Of course, you are absolutely right, I think I must have been having a senior moment! Especially after telling someone else on another forum to imagine the Clarke Belt as a rainbow with satellites in it.

Many thanks for your quick response.

Vin Blanc

Well am back from Paris after installing the kit there with some success. The trees gave some bother with some channels but the main BBC/ITV and HD channels worked fine the others not so good. The local Council came to inspect the trees and may reduce the height substantially in the near future. Final dish adjustment will have to be done after tree lopping. Can anyone name a UK Council who would turn out the following day (2 guys) after a phone call re the problem? Q. - Does the Freesat satellite transmit some channels with different signal strengths? KSS :hiya:

Can anyone name a UK Council who would turn out the following day (2 guys) after a phone call re the problem? :hiya:

I can't but there would probably be 5 people moving your request around trying to decide to which department to move it to and probably one person in the department that could deal with it who (if it got to him or her) would have to spend half their time filling in paperwork to satisfy the five in the office!!:eek:

Sorry to have a negative opinion on how we deal with things, but the five in the office probably being on twice the salary of the possible fixer! :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Well am back from Paris after installing the kit there with some success. The trees gave some bother with some channels but the main BBC/ITV and HD channels worked fine the others not so good. The local Council came to inspect the trees and may reduce the height substantially in the near future. Final dish adjustment will have to be done after tree lopping. Can anyone name a UK Council who would turn out the following day (2 guys) after a phone call re the problem? Q. - Does the Freesat satellite transmit some channels with different signal strengths? KSS :hiya:

Freesat don't have any satellites (nor transmit anything but the epg) neither do Sky. Free to air programming come from different satellites with different beam patterns. (The same channels are used whatever box you use, Freesat, Sky or generic fta).

Freesat is just a epg service transmitted on the widebeam from 28.5E.

Channels from 28.5E (Eutelsat 28A) have roughly the same power output but the beam shape covers most of Europe so the signal density is lower. Astra 1N concentratrates it's power in a much tighter beam.

Provided you are in the beam your dish will collect more signal. Imagine a torch you can focus. The bulb delivers the same energy. Use a wide beam the light covers a greater area but the brightness is low, focus the beam it gets a lot brighter but covers a much smaller area.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom