Installing ethernet sockets + increasing wifi signal

JamSE18

Novice Member
Hi all

I'm a bit of a beginner at this so this is probably a simple setup/question.

I am looking at creating a wired connection for the 2 bedrooms in my flat. The router is currently placed in the living room and I've installed a double cat6 wall socket next to it. I have no plug socket in the loft to have a network switch up there so to keep it simple can I just run individual cables from the double wall jack in the living room to a wall jack in each bedroom?

I've ordered the rest of the kit I need, just wanted to know if this would work or not before I start attempting to drop the cables down and wire up the ethernet ports!

Also I would like to increase the wifi signal in the far bedroom, do I just need to plug an access point into the bedrooms ethernet socket? I will need a few devices connected so guessing I would need to plug a switch into the wall first? then plug the access point, tv, pc into that.

neilball

You’ve got everything pretty much spot on. The only thing most of us who do this regularly would say is to run dual cables to each bedroom, if only for a bit of redundancy to guard against some unforeseen issue with the cable. You could have a double gang quad-outlet plate next to you router and twin outlet single gang plates in each bedroom.

If you have an accessible loft space you might also want to consider a ceiling mounted APs - these can be POE powered from a POE switch or individual POE injectors from the router location, so would need local 230v power.

mickevh

Distinguished Member
If you would like to "save a box" and deploy a combination ethernet switch and Wi-Fi AP, you could look at using a "crippled" SOHO "router" or a router that has an "AP mode" (not all offer the latter,) especially if you have an old one lying around you could use for free. Though of course it could limit the physical placement options (which is more important for an AP) whereas separate boxes is a bit more flexible in that the AP doesn't have to be in the same locale as your switch.

There's a few hoops to jump through to cripple a router and turn it into an AP/switch combo, but it isn't hard. How to do so is described in the "Using Two Routers Together" FAQ pinned in this forum.

Not that there's anything "wrong" with deploying a separate switch and AP.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Sky Glass, Epson Laser Projectors plus Home Cinema Subwoofers and More…
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom