Installing direct burial POE ethernet cables for IP cameras

televisionuser

I'm looking to install several CCTV cameras outdoors, in a garden, each approximately 20-100 meters away from the main building. I've looked at some youtube videos on installing POE cables underground and it seems that some people also feed the cable through conduit. Conduit over a long distance seems to be a little expensive, so ideally I would just like to go for the best quality burial cable. If the cable is strong enough, then surely conduit wouldn't be necessary? Has anyone here installed direct burial POE ethernet cables?

D

Deleted member 24354

You can use direct burial SWAC6 cable but it will need to be terminated into a back-box then connected to normal Cat6 for the remaining few metres

Seb Briggs

Distinguished Member
I’d use conduit , it’s not the time to skimp on cost , include a draw wire so you can pull through replacement cable if necessary .

D

Deleted member 24354

Would this cable be okay?

Any outdoor back-box you recommend?
No I would not use that cable for direct burial. If you are not running in conduit then you need steel wired armour Cat 6. I tend to use Wiska boxes with compression glands externally.

televisionuser

However conduit and external grade may be better and cheaper or maybe even point to point wifi if you can get power to the remote camera points

I'm thinking of two options.
Option 1: Underground ethernet cables.
Option 2: A couple of wireless outdoor access points combined with some Reolink Solar IP cameras.

Option 2 appears to be the easiest, but I'm not sure how reliable it is.

Seb Briggs

Distinguished Member
I use Ubiquiti external APs on many commercial and domestic sites and it is incredibly reliable depending on the environment. Line of sight being one of them

The reliability of the solar powered cameras however is another matter

I would bite the bullet and run cat6 cables underground in conduit, if you can

televisionuser

I use Ubiquiti external APs on many commercial and domestic sites and it is incredibly reliable depending on the environment. Line of sight being one of them

The reliability of the solar powered cameras however is another matter

I would bite the bullet and run cat6 cables underground in conduit, if you can

Is there any specific brand (reasonably priced) that you recommend when using conduit with cable?

The latest video from AVForums

Maverick UK Premiere IMAX Review + Top Gun, Tom Cruise, Tony Scott and 4K + Movie/TV News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom