Installing Ceiling Speakers

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by bainbridgematt, Aug 7, 2013.

1. bainbridgematt

bainbridgematt
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello all, I'm not sure if this is the right forum or not, but I figured I would try here first. I'm building a new home and would like to wire three first floor rooms for in-ceiling speakers. The problem is the builder is requiring me to use their installer who I am sure is required to mark up their install price to cover their actual costs and the builders cost.

Anyway, the bottom line is they want $1100+ to rough in speaker wire in three rooms and run it to a common point in the basement. That seemed crazy expensive to me, but I don't know. And I am thinking that install after the face won't be cheap either. So I'm trying to get an idea of what people think it would cost to install in ceiling speakers after the fact. I won't have easy access to the ceiling cavity because it will be between floors.

Any thoughts for comments? I could do in-wall speakers after the fact in a couple of the rooms, but I am thinking in the kitchen that having the ceiling speakers would be nice.

2. themovierooms

themovierooms
    Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +798
    Assuming this doesn't include the cost of the actual speakers it does seem a touch expensive. Installing speakers is not really the issue, cabling is. If you can get the cables in, installing should be simple.

3. bainbridgematt

bainbridgematt
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That's what I thought too. There were no speakers included in that price at all. It was simply 2 speakers in each of three rooms. It's probably a 4-8 hours job at most and $100-$200 in wiring (that's not even assuming a wholesale discount on the wire). To me they are talking $100/hour for labor and that seemed crazy to me. Of course I am sure the home builder is taking chunk of that money too.

Still just can convince myself to pull the trigger.

4. themovierooms

themovierooms

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +798
    I'm struggling to convert $ into £ but £30 per hour is about right for a single installer in the UK. The rest of your assumptions are about right. Dont be pressured into anything, if it is a new build house any decent custom installer should be able to retro fit for you. Its not ideal but it's better than paying way over the odds.

5. bainbridgematt

bainbridgematt
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That is about $50-$60/hour with the current exchange rate.

Seems like it'll just be best to retrofit the system after the face as stupid as that is.

6. themovierooms

themovierooms

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +798
    I'm in a similar situation over here to be honest. I have bought a new house but they wont let me in until its completed in January. Madness! I'm going to have to retro fit the whole thing unfortunately.

7. bainbridgematt

bainbridgematt
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I really wonder if they drive more people away from these add-ons given their ridiculous price than they get in revenue. It's the classic question of more volume with lower costs or higher profit margin and fewer installs.

8. spyder viewer

spyder viewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,285
    It's important to firm up the specification before signing on the dotted line. That's when you have the maximum bargaining power. All(nearly all) will take advantage if extra work is requested. Afterall, the builder has already determined his margin on the job. He's now thinking about his next job. The additional effort in re-jigging his labour has to be paid for. Chances are, he asked his sparky for a price and doubled it. If you are thinking about doing it yourself, take photos before he puts up the plasterboard/drywall so you know where the obstructions or domestic wiring is going.

9. bainbridgematt

bainbridgematt
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That would have been nice to do, but unfortunately we had to move forward without a price until we signed. Such is life I guess. But yes there will be plenty of pictures taken. I'm also considering going the crown molding route and just tucking the wires behind it.

10. themovierooms

themovierooms

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +798
    Good advice. I would definatley do this if you can.