1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Installing a Sony VW11 on ceiling

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by nigel_williams, Feb 5, 2002.

1. nigel_williams

nigel_williams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I'm about to take the plunge and buy a Sony VW11 to be used on a Da-Lite model B 80x45 screen. I think the best solution is to ceiling mount the projector with a Sony mount but I'm not sure how to handle the electics.

The wall behind the projector is plasterboard and has electrical sockets on both sides which I presume will be accessable via the loft above. Alternatively, is it possible to run the power from a nearby ceiling light?

I should be able to handle the S-Video connection, I already have a 10 metre cable available.

Can anyone give me some advice or should I get the experts in?

2. Roland @ B4

Roland @ B4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Nigel
    First off, don't run it from the lighting curcuit the projector will draw too much on start up.

Ideally the projector should come from the same power outlet as your video gear, failing that the same ring circuit at least. The reason is that often audio gear is not earthed though your projector must be. IF you run off a seperate circuit you may end up with voltage differences going down the video lines which will not look good on screen.

Routing cables is not easy and each room is different. the simplist way is to fix trunking to the wall and run it parallel with the ceiling utill you can drop it down in the corner or next to a door frame or behind a curtain. As the loft is above your projector you may be able to tap into the ring main yp ther and hide you cables. If you are not confident doing this get the experts in or you may not be able to watch you new toy.

10m S-video could well end up with picture problems they relly are not designed to run that far. This due to the small surface area of the pins and the oftern poor cable screening that is used. Keep it seperate from the mains lead to prevent it inducing any interfence.

3. slingshot

slingshot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Nigel installed a VW10 myself last year, I didn't have the luxury of a loft so had to lift the upstairs floorboards.

For the mains I simply took a spur of one of the mains sockets, same ring main, but different socket, upstairs, and mounted a double socket in the ceiling. I also ended up with a 10M run of cable, basically I put the cables up through the middle of a plasterboard wall, so it's completely hidden and then routed it underneath the floorboards upstairs, there was lot's of mains up there, but don't be tempted to route it next to mains cables, keep it as far away as possible.

I bought a 10M S-video cable from lektropaks and haven't noticed any difference between this, a 2M cable and the 10m component cable, so maybe I got lucky.

While your going to this trouble it may be worth putting in other cables at the same time for future upgrades, at the time I was only going to use S-Vid but I put in three phono's for component in case and ended using them, wish I'd put 5 phono's in for RGB and sync's though just in case.

Anyway hope this helps, if you have any other questions give me a shout.

4. nigel_williams

nigel_williams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks for the advice guys. I'll have a look in the attic tonight and see what's what etc, haven't been up there since I bought the place! I think all the upstairs sockets are on the same ring.

Running extra "upgrade" cables sounds like a good idea too. My current DVD player (Panasonic portable) only does S-Video but I will probably upgrade some time soon.

I can't remember the brand of cable but it's a reasonable quality one which I first used on the PC DVD-Encore, it was about £45. Should I consider using Ferrite rings to help shield it? or will this only work on already shielded cables?

I'm off the Bristol later this month for the Hi-Fi Show, there's usually a few high quality cable suppliers there so I'll make some enquiries.

Cheers

5. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,907
    My VW10 is ceiling mounted. With large slabs of chipboard for the floors, I was unable to lift the upstairs floor, so I constructed a false ceiling "feature" containing downlighters and all the cabling. I'm not suggesting you do this, because you CAN go into the loft. But, for what it's worth:

1) The SVideo cable is a 10m prowire by vivanco - £35 from the Sony Centre in Leeds.

2) The component video cable is a 3xRCA > 3xRCA custom made by Lektropacks for £74.

3) The mains supply is by a home made 10m extension cable with a rubber trailing socket on the end near the projector. The other end is adjacent to my equipment rack and is plugged in there alongside the rest of my hardware.

These cables all run close to one another along the same route through the ceiling feature and down the corner of the chimney breast. Inside the ceiling feature, they all run close to two low voltage transformers for the lamps, and the associated low and mains voltage cabling.

Despite the cables being of only reasonable quality (if judged by their price) there is no visible degradation of the signal, when compared with much shorter lengths of "good" (read unnecessarily expensive) stuff. I bought the SVideo cable on a return if not satisfied basis. I did the comparison by putting the DVD player on a stepladder next to the projector and borrowing an "esoteric" 1.5m cable to be totally sure. I only decided on running the mains cable the same route after testing to ensure it didn't matter.

Oh, and the SVideo signal comes from my AV amp - into which all the other components are routed.

I only say all of this to indicate that there is often a difference between theory and practice. In theory a 10m SVideo cable will degrade the signal; In theory you should spend more on cables; In theory you shouldn't run signal cables parallel to mains cables. In theory, routing video signals via an AV amp will degrade the signal.

In practice, non of these things have had an effect on my setup.

6. slingshot

slingshot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Pretty much agree with Nigel, I did the same used a step ladder when comparing my 2m 'expensive' cable with my 'cheap' 10m cable, mind you I'm probably the only person in the world that can't tell the difference between s-Video and component.

I tried laying the cable next to the mains (to save drilling more holes in the floor beams) and I noticed a brief flicker when a friend switched a flourescant lamp on and off upstairs, so it may not be a problem but probably better avoid running it next to the mains.

Actually I've just realised I don't think I ever re-tested the flicker after moving the cable, so it may still do it and it could be something about that lamp, so in actual fact I could be talking complete crap.

Anyway the nurse has just come round with my medication, so maybe I should get back into my straight jacket !

Oh yes just remebered a good trick I found for putting cables down the inside of a plaster-board wall, tape the cable onto a 24 inch heavy steel rule and drop it through the hole, apologise if everyone already knew this, but I'd spent hours trying to thread the cable through the walls.

Slingshot