Installing a Freeview Aerial - easy?

Garry1000

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi

I need to install an aerial to get freeview, but rather than pay someone £160 I'd like to give it a go myself (potentially foolish, but I don't care!).

Basically, I have easy (and safe) access to my roof, and a chimney for an unused fireplace. Can I simply buy one of these 91-Element High-Gain Digital TV Aerial > Maplin from Maplin, stick it on the roof, run a coaxial cable down my chimney (need to check it hasn't been blocked up) and plug it into my Freeview tuner?

Is there a science bit I'm missing?!

Presumably I'd need to point the aerial in some direction or other (but I have a compass)? My Postcode is N1 (London) and my nearest transmitter is the Crystal Palace one.

Cheers for all help and advice.

Garry

My neighbours scare me a bit (it's the rough end of N1!), but haven't looked to see what they have. That Wolfbane thing is greek to me (other than the recommendation of a set-top aerial). Should probably try that first, to see how it works out - but have now got a hankering to clamber all over the roof! ;)

Gary - what, if any, aerial do you use for analogue? Does teletext work on all 5 channels?

Plug your exact postcode and elevation into wolfbane. If it still says "Set-top" no point doing anything else until you try it. Have you tried a bent coathanger/bit of wire?

I've just moved to a new flat, and will only be there for 12 months or so. There's an aerial socket (coax) in the wall, but nothing on the roof and there's no signal coming through it.

Currently use a sky dish and digi-box (no contract, no card - which means no C4 etc) - I know I can get a card for £25 for free-to-air but I'd sooner go back to using the digital tuner in my Sony DVD/PVR as I like the interface.

Also considering a Freesat, but I think within 12 months Freesat will wither and die if Freeview start doing free-to-air HD content...

If it's new, ask the builder/landlord what is/should be provided.

But first unscrew the socket and see if it is even connected to anything.

TV might make something in common with your scary neighbours? They are probably scared of you too?

I think Freesat will live regardless - apart from anything else HMG needs it to fill gaps in Terrestial signals at switchoff.

It's top two floors of a converted 4 storey terrace, Landlord is doesn't know very much (about anything, as far as I can tell!).

Have hung out the window and there's a cable going into the wall roughly where the socket is (am 98% certain it was once leading to an aerial), and it runs along the (3 inch) ledge but is one of about 10 cables, so can't track where it goes it.

Scary neighbour #1 appears to have lost an ear over the course of the weekend.....................my spidey-sense tells me that I am right to be afraid!

Currently use a sky dish and digi-box (no contract, no card - which means no C4 etc) - I know I can get a card for £25 for free-to-air...

Although you'll have to access them through the 'Other Channels' menu, you can manually tune in all the FOUR channels FTA on your Sky box

10714H 22000 5/6

You can't get FIVE and Sky3 unless you get a card which, BTW, is £20

Ta, will take a look at that tonight, but I really don't want to use Sky at all - I really dislike their menus etc. Will try a set-top aerial from Maplin and maybe wait until the Freesat FoxSat PVR comes out next week and then pick up a bargain on the non-PVR Foxsat on eBay!

If the set-top aerial doesn't work, I will be back!

Tried tuning the C4 1/2 dozen times and it didn't work, until I put an old tesco clubcard in the card slot - I saw this recommended on anothe forum -weird quirk or coincidence?!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom