Installer Near Your Set-Up

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by RyanK, Mar 24, 2006.

1. RyanK

RyanK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    Right, now that we have all booked our SkyHD how many of us will actually let the installer anywher near our set-up.

When my installer arrives i plan to thank him for delivering it and that i will install it myself.

What about all you

2. neilmcl

neilmcl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +292
    I'm not sure you'll get the choice. If you did that the installer is likely to contact Sky and cancel the installation taking the box back with him. Why not let him do his job, you can always change it once he's gone.

3. ijd

ijd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +126
    they are insured....whats the problem,surely you will check his install afterwards

4. RyanK

RyanK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    and if the sod presses the wrong button on my TV remote i will have to spend another 2 months resetting it to get my optimal settings.

and yes he may be insured but if he scratches my screen or something else how bloody long will i have to wait before it`s rectified

5. ijd

ijd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +126
    simple, watch him and tell him not to play with your remote,make him a cup of tea before he starts,dont treat him like an idiot and sure he will then return the respect

6. Reaperman

Reaperman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Tried all that today with my SKY+ install....
    Did it work.............Did it Hell..:thumbsdow

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=321433

7. ijd

ijd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +126
    just read your other thread Reaperman,you have to watch these guys and treat them with respect, I have had three different installers for various equipment, all have been helpful willing clean and professional, but that is how i treat them.

8. Parmenion

Parmenion

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +74
    I think the problem is, many of us have experience, gained over a number of years, of Sky's less than professional installers.

Certainly there are any number of competent installers who might turn up to integrate a new box into several thousand pounds worth of your kit.

Let's just hope they don't interfere with the settings on your £1500 scaler.......that you then paid £250 to have ISF'd.....

If all they do is leave a couple of cables unplugged, knock over a pot plant and trail mud over a new carpet, like they did last time they visited, I suppose I should be grateful for small mercies:(

regards

Parmenion

9. Parmenion

Parmenion

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +74
    ijd............

treat them how you like. If you get a zombie turn up, then I'm afraid it just won't help.

If a professional installer turns up, then presumably his professionalism will not allow him/her to do a poor job, no matter what they are presented with.

I don't know about you but in my line of work I do the job I'm paid to do. The attitude of the client (who is paying me!) is not a factor in the quality of my work.

There is a name for people who allow such things to affect them...........numpty.

regards

Parmenion

10. Pebb

Pebb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +829
    There is an installer who is a couple houses down from me.

11. jay_edinburgh

jay_edinburgh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The installers in the Edinburgh area are monkeys.

12. chris-j

chris-j
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    If the same guy who installed my Sky+ a few years ago does install again I would be happy - He knew what he was doing, knew the product and was quick and efficient.

13. Pebb

Pebb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +829
    Anyone going to treat the Sky HD installers to an hour of watching HD if they have spare time. I will if he makes me so happy, i shout great work.

14. suffolktoon

suffolktoon
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    I'm out of work at the moment. I'd quite fancy going around replacing existing Sky set ups with Sky HD. Thanks to a raging thirst and a weakness for food that tastes nice I'm not really physically up for climbing ladders. Replacing one box for another though sounds a bit of a doddle. Anyone got a contact for the installer side to see if they might have a job for me. I'd imagine a sizeable proportion of jobs would be a simple swap over.

15. Greggles

Greggles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +74
    I for one intend to point to the HDMI and toslink cables (attached to my Arcam AV9 processor) and powersocket in which the box should be plugged in and keep a firm hold of all my remotes. Surely even the most seasoned and competent installer could not be expected to be familiar with every AV setup?

16. Knyght_byte

Knyght_byte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +600
    when i do get round to it, my installer will be treated nicely and happily like the one who did the sky+ install (quick, efficient, no mess, hardly took any time yet everything nicely tucked away etc).......he'll get to plug the optical cable in thats currently in the sky box, and he'll get to plug in the HDMI cable that goes to my projectors M1 port.......he wont need to tune things on the TV cuz its a projector...heh.....

there is a TV but i'll tell him i dont use that for SKY at all its just there for OSD's....heh

17. choddo2006

choddo2006

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +542
    Whoever does mine will get to leave the box on the mat and get an early trip home. We've had ok installers in the past (although just running cables through the wall into the room with no wallbox is a bit sucky but I've fixed that), and the last ones did a good job of running an RF to our bedroom but this is a doddle isn't it? Why bother wasting their time?

18. Member 55145

Member 55145
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,483
    i know people think they sound cool and whatnot by saying they know better than the installers (granted you probably do)

but the fact of the matter is, they are being paid to do a job in which they will get a bollocking if they dont do properly (sky pdf ring a bell? dont want any more botch jobs? dont leave without box unless you see it working)

face it, your going to have to let them hook this stuff up. infact i REALLY am as they are going to have to fit a dish AND make sure its hooked upto my phoneline (which i begrudgingly had put in yesterday just for this sodding thing!)

so i plan to put a table infront of my glass tv stand and have the hdmi cable and power cable put in place for the installer to hook upto the box. and when he has left il put the box in its proper place on the glass cabinet.

i think you all should consider the same. they wont want us thinking their idoits, but id think they would expect us to be jittery around them near our posh tellies

19. choddo2006

choddo2006

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +542
    Aye, some good points there (esp about the dish ;) ) but the Sky+ to HD changeover is surely simpler than falling off a log.

20. nobby

nobby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +143
    just my 2p's worth

i went down the road nearly a year now, looking sky 160 and got it all arranged with sky. i live in a 3 yr old house and had a custom room built / setup with all wiring ducts etc. :cool: the guy came out and he was gonna start drilling holes in the front of my house, and run a cable from the front to the side where the dish is located ... NO WAY MATE ... sling yer hook! :mad:

i have availed of the pre order with sky HD :suicide: but i will be paying for the pre install work to be done by a local professional, who will actually take the time to go up to my roof space and install the necessary cabling and LMD for the new box. :clap: the so called installer will be allowed into my room plug the cables in the new box, and then out the door ... he is NOT going to be messing with my equipment. :lease: anyway i'd be surprised if he knew what a scaler is and what it is used for! :lesson:

take my advice get pro work done before allowing these cowboy's anywhere near your gaff :lesson: ... it may cost you more but better than having some loser get his drill-bit out (ohh errr!) :oops: and start drilling holes outside the front of your house.

lets hope the WAIT IS WORTH IT!

21. Pebb

Pebb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +829
    You sound a bit like that father on My Family, anyway I bet the people handling the Sky HD boxes are a different type of installers lol.

22. ash

ash

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +396
    Why not hide all your equipment....

23. choddo2006

choddo2006

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +542
    Might be a bit hard to see if it's working with the screen hidden in the loft

24. RobbySpurs

RobbySpurs
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,867
    Assuming you currently have Sky+, then should it not just be a case of swopping the boxes over?

I would, to be honest rather do it myself but I think we'll soon know if the guy knows what he is doing.

What I will not fall for again, is what happened when I had my sky+ installed. the thieving installers swiped my sky box. Ended up getting written apology from Sky.

Anyway, so long as they don't mess with my professionally installed dish and internal cabling (new house) then all will be fine.

25. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Not necessarily. SD with its lower bitrates would tolerate off-alignment dishes, bad cabling, or a noisy LNB. HD will not, so that's why you need an installer, to check all these things out.

26. White Noise

White Noise

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    It'll only end in tears if you install it yourself and then find the box is faulty once the installer's gone.

27. RobbySpurs

RobbySpurs
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,867
    that tis true.

28. czytt

czytt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    I, too, have a scaler, and will simply not tell the installer about it. I'll just let him hook the HD box up to the TV and the hi-fi, then hook it up through the scaler myself when he's gone.

Then I can finally get it all ISF calibrated. I've been waiting for the Sky HD box before having this done.

Jerry

29. ijd

ijd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +126
    these guys are sensative when you let them know theyre about to play with your pride and joy,ask them nicely and they will act properly.
    I think half the trouble is,people are expecting a monkey,the installers pick up on it,so they act like it,after all who put up the first barrier,if you put up this kind of negativity before they arrive you will not be able to hide it,I have spoken to many installers who have a passion about what they do,they are under pressure with the majority of their work being quick installs to run of the mill equipment,Try asking them what set up they have at home and you will bring out the enthusiast,just point them in the direction of the install and they want to get it over and done with,the last guy who came to upgrade my sky+ box for 160g sky plus spent an hour with me,
    5 mins to install,then about abvot AV in general, and he also let me have 20m of coax so i could run a feed to my upstairs set up,as the video sender was suffering picture interference,the sender is now used for sending sound signal to the surround system,albeit pro logic and switches chanels so no magic eye:clap:
    I dont think this guy was unique,i showed an interest in him and what he did and he returned the favour...:smashin: