installed sky broadband

noobhead

Established Member
Reaction score
installed sky bb 20mb today getting speed no higher than 4mb but sky did say it will take a few days and will gradually go high . true? what were ur experience of this

depends on your line you cant get just 20meg because it says so on there site
show your stats please off your router

Correct, SNR (Signal to Nosie Ratio) is the commonest limiting factor.

Sagem F@ST 2504 [Sky Firmware]

ADSL LinkDownstreamUpstream
Connection Speed7604 kbps796 kbps
Line Attenuation33.0 db14.6 db
Noise Margin7.1 db13.0 db

my estimated line from the 20mb was suppose to be 13-14 mb

so like sky said it will take a few days ive only had it for 2 days now this is ky email

Testing your speeds

* First, we'll test the different speeds and settings on your line.
* We'll also start your Sky Broadband off on the first day at a download speed of up to 4Mb.
* We'll then increase your speeds and set your line at the best speed possible with a reliable connection.
* Please note: while we're testing, speeds may vary a little and your connection may be intermittent over these first 10 days. Don't worry, this is normal.

Sagem F@ST 2504 [Sky Firmware]

ADSL LinkDownstreamUpstream
Connection Speed7604 kbps796 kbps
Line Attenuation33.0 db14.6 db
Noise Margin7.1 db13.0 db

Well you are already connecting at 7604 so should be getting better than 4Mb on speed tests.
It is true that speed will increase once the line training starts,for me this was day 3,speed went from 4Mb to 13 and there it stayed 'til training finished,quick call to Sky and my line was manually set to

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 19506 kbps 997 kbps
Line Attenuation 21.0 db 9.5 db
Noise Margin 6.4 db 7.5 db

i never use speedtest as they not accurate they always miss a few meg speed off

shall i just wait when 10 days over before i give sky a call if speed stays the same?

Just wait 'til the 10 days are up if no improvement by then, call them up

rang sky they say max i can get 8mb no way was told 13mb was my max what do i do?

Not a lot, you are on the default margin for Sky on the download but the upload could be improved.
You can connect to the Test socket behind the faceplate of the Master socket and remove the ring wire
::. Kitz - Improve your adsl connection speed .::
to try to improve speed.
This is where the quality of the line comes into effect as well as Attenuation,ideally you should be looking at 10-13Mb on that sort of attenuatoin but as I said line quality is also a factor,it only takes a few metres of lower grade copper or aluminium to be used to play havoc on broadband.

got trough to sky cs support finally proper English speaking :D and got me to 12mb:thumbsup:

before they were adamant that no more than 8mb so i kept on going on at them finally 12mb

My Sky BB was installed end of May 2009 and it started off at 4mb then levelled out at 8mb after the 10 day period, then quite surprisingly a month later jumped up to 16mb overnight.

well after a month of 12mb few days ago crash back down to 8mb rang sky took ages to sort out there saying problem with router sagem and now they are gonna send me another router anyone else had the same problem

guys its really bad here:suicide: it takes about 10-12 mins to load a 1min you tube video up! on the sky settings i have it got dwn at 8984 im deffo only getting max 2- 3 mb nothing more:thumbsdow. see what happens when new router comes!:rolleyes:

is it too late too cancel had it for a month with the tv also. will keep tv and want to get rid of broadband wanna go back to virgin:lease::lease:

Thought i'd share my experience..

Had Sky BB for almost 4 years now!

THe other week my telephone line became a little dodgey.. Phone going dead etc. We called out an engineer. Turned out to be an external fault. Whilst this was going on my internet connection dropped from 7mb to 2 mb. the phone line was repaired but i was still stuck with 2mb.

I spoke to BT today. They are sending out an engineer on Monday to my home address. Not a bad offer considering i dont have my internet with BT!

I decided on the off chance to speak to a Sky BB rep. He was excellent. I explained that my connection speed had dropped. He asked me to connect to the master socket. I told him i wasnt interested in doing that as my setup hadn't changed but my connection speed had suddenly dropped. The response, 'ok sir, i'm going to put you on hold for a few mins if thats ok so i can do some checks'.. 5 mins later.. 'Ok, sir we've increased your speed to a constant 7+mb. It seems to be running perfectly steady but you may want to connect wirelessly through master and see whether it improves'.

I've got too many walls between my master socket and study so there's no benefit. Plus, there's no power point by the phone line for the router. I might give it a try though with an extension power cable to see if it makes any difference.

I've enquired as to how on earth he managed to speed it up. The response was that it may have been reduced to a safe speed when i was having problems with my landline but it hadn't been put back to premium. Bizarre. This explanation was accompanied by some other technical stuff which to be honest i didn't listen to as my focus was on the pc screen and my speedtest which reported back at 7mb.

I do have a question though. My line attenuation seems high.

Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time
WAN PPPoA 933167 1724937 0 10549 635452 01:07:00
LAN 10M/100M 1741552 946887 0 360906 9372 02:00:07
WLAN 11M/54M 936 0 0 57 0 01:59:59

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 6560 kbps 800 kbps
Line Attenuation 32.0 db 21.5 db
Noise Margin 7.4 db 15.0 db

Anyone have any idea whether the above presents any obvious problems? My connection speed presents as 6560kbps but as we speak i'm downloading adaware for my pc at 705kb/s so it may reflect that.

Any advice would help. I hope the above information will help some as a simple phone call and some tuning from your ISP's end can work wonders.. I went from 2010 kbps to 7050 kbps after a 6 minute phone call!!!:eek:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom