Installation tips for Beamax M Series

KelvinS1965

Outstanding Member
Reaction score
I'm struggling to fit my new Beamax M series tab tensioned screen. It's going inside a pelmet that my previous Greywolf was in so it's not as accessable as a striaght ceiling mount job. I'm using the supplied brackets that fit on the top of the case (mildy 'U' shaped, flat on each end). The idea is that you fix the bracket to the ceiling first, then the matching fitting on the case has a nut and washer. You are supposed to slot the nut & washer onto the upside of the ceiling bracket and then pull the screen forwards (the bracket has an L shaped slot). The difficulty is that you have to get all three brackets lined up for this to work (plus the washer tends to drop down under the bracket on the opposite side of the bracket to the nut :mad:) and it's nigh on impossible with just two people due to the weight of this large screen.

Anyone else managed to do this and if so have you any tips (apart from getting extra people to help which is the next plan)? I'm itching to get this screen up to see what it's like and I've taken my old one down so I can't use my PJ until this is sorted.:(

I'll taken some photos tonight which might explain what I'm up against, better than words alone.

Last edited:
I got someone to help with mine. The biggest problem we had still though was getting the washers in the right side of the nuts. There isn't any hand space to hold it there. If it's not too much messing about try sellotaping the washers in place & then removing the tape once it's up.

Yep, had to get help. Bugger to install, and it looks so precarious when done. Still mine has been up for 3 years now. The other challenge I found with my motorised screen was adjusting the closed and fully extended screws. They were in there somewhere, but not at all easy to locate.

Last edited:
Thanks for the confirmation. I tried with me and my missus, but it's a big screen; I'm no mussle man and she had a stiff neck too which didn't help. :)

I thought about trying to get some nuts with the washer joined on, but no chance yet. I did try using some blutak to hold the washers up so that it got pushed out of the way once in place (wouldn't matter if some remained anyway).

I thought I'd solved my problems once I realised I had to move one of my wall mounted speakers, which I did, then realised that the brackets behind them will still catch on the tension ends of the screen. :suicide: I'll have to move the brackets to the side walls and turn the speakers to face me....more holes, mess, etc. :rolleyes:

I will be able to access the drop adjustment screws, but I'm waiting for confirmation on how to retension the screen if I do shorten the drop (as they made it a fraction too tall)....I just hope it doesn't have to go back to be reworked.

EDIT: Received email confirmation from Beamax showing how to adjust the drop and information that 5-10cms adjustment is within acceptable limits (so as not to effect the screen remaining flat).

Last edited:
Managed to get this fitted today, thanks to my Brother in law and my missus. :thumbsup: Not the easiest job I've done lately, but it's up now and tightned up to make sure it isn't going to fall down on my TV, speakers and anyone underneath. I put some small pieces of tubing over the threads to hold the washer up during the install (photos to come incase it helps other Beamax installers).

Initially I was disapointed:The image looked a little washed out during our early evening Indiana Jones and the Crystal Skull viewing, but I then re drilled the fittings for my black cloth 3 sided tent and it was business as usual for the second film '21'. This screen is far more sensitive to side wall and ceiling reflections, so the 'tent' is a must for serious viewing unlike with the old Greywolf (more directional and less effected by wall reflections).

The image is smoother and (dare I say it?) puts me in mind of the JVD HD350/750 demo I saw at the launch last year. I've been able to set up my three lens memories for 2.35:1, 1.85:1 & 1.78:1 for the majority of films. In hindsight (always useful, but never available as an option when purchasing I find :)) I should have ordered a 2.40:1 screen, but a little tweaking and cropping (CIH fans forgive me :D) has optimised the picture for 2.35:1 films to fill to the black borders with a slight overspill (nicely hidden by the dark borders of this screen). At least I have been able to optimise focus across the screen as I can now see the pixels close to the screen to aid focusing. This is now saved as part of the lens memory settings.

I'm glad I upgraded to a 'proper' 2.35:1 screen, but fitting it could have been easier.

Last edited:
Well done :thumbsup:

Just to update this post incase anyone finds this with a search. The pictures show how I used small plastic tube to hold the washers up during install (as they have to go the right side of the ceiling mounted bracket). Also shown is my 'tent' that blocks off wall and ceiling reflections, which have much more effect on a wide viewing angle screen like this.

Also a couple of gratutious screen shots showing the 16:9 mode and 2.35:1 mode of the AE3000. They haven't come out very well, but I'll try again later in the week using a manual mode on the camera as I'm no expert photograher.

Notice the white tensioning bar at the bottom is nicely lit up by the bottom 'black bar'. A modification with some black velvet will be the next step. I don't know why they didn't make that part black......

Hope this helps someone.:thumbsup:

Attachments

• Spacer tube.JPG
    Spacer tube.JPG
    33.4 KB · Views: 207
  • Spacer in place.JPG
    Spacer in place.JPG
    75.6 KB · Views: 204
  • Raised washer.JPG
    Raised washer.JPG
    66.7 KB · Views: 206
  • 16 to 9.JPG
    16 to 9.JPG
    57.2 KB · Views: 260
  • 235 to 1.JPG
    235 to 1.JPG
    69.6 KB · Views: 311
  • Tent in place.JPG
    Tent in place.JPG
    77.8 KB · Views: 335
  • Ceiling bracket rotated.JPG
    Ceiling bracket rotated.JPG
    108.4 KB · Views: 224
Last edited:
Hi Kelvin,

Did you get my e-mail?

Sent it on Friday, but did not see if you got it.

Thanks!

Otto

Hi Kelvin,

Did you get my e-mail?

Sent it on Friday, but did not see if you got it.

Thanks!

Otto

Thanks Otto, I recieved your email. As I managed to install the screen, I won't need any alternative brackets thank you.

:lease: MODS: Would it be possible to change the name of this thread to something like " Installation tips for Beamax M Series" as although it was difficult with enough people and the tube/washer trick it is possible, rather than a 'problem'. Also Otto did offer to supply some alternative brackets that would have made installation easier, though it would have put the screen slightly lower, so Beamax did everything a buyer could expect to help.

I had a very similar headache with my M-Series tab-tensioned screen. My brackets are in the ceiling, not on the wall like yours (unless your photo needs to be turned?)

My sparkie came up with the solution - a pair of heavy duty wire ties done up loosely allowed the screen to be manouevred in to place and the nuts done up. I tried it at first without wire ties and it was almost impossible to do!

Got there in the end though!

I had a very similar headache with my M-Series tab-tensioned screen. My brackets are in the ceiling, not on the wall like yours (unless your photo needs to be turned?)

My sparkie came up with the solution - a pair of heavy duty wire ties done up loosely allowed the screen to be manouevred in to place and the nuts done up. I tried it at first without wire ties and it was almost impossible to do!

Got there in the end though!

My photo isn't very clear, the bracket is on a 'pad' of plywood attached to the ceiling. As it's inside the pelmet it's hard to take a photo. If you look on 'My Setup thread' in my sig you can see the pelmet in the room photos, so it makes more sense. I'm going to take more photos later this week.

EDIT: I rotated the photo, so it makes more sense now.

Last edited:
Hi Kelvin,

Thanks for letting me know you received the e-mail.

As I mentioned in the PM, I will be addressing the installation issue for for the tab-tensioned and regular M-series to make it easier.

It's usually a job you do only once, but I'd rather have you spend time watching the screen than installing it ;-))

In any case, enjoy the screen!

Thanks,

Otto
Beamax

Hi Otto,

We all look forward to your next video on youtube :D:D:D

Don't forget our health and safety laws in the UK, we can't go over 15m high.

Regards ;)

Thanks Otto,

I'm sure future owners will be glad of any improvements to fitting, if only to speed the process so they can use their screen quicker. I'm enjoying mine and looking forward to watching some more films on it soon (once I get back from Kent and watching TV on the hotel room 19" ....I think I need binoculars to see it :D).

Ha ha, I did an inspection on a screen at 8 meters high on not-too-sturdy scaffolding.

Not the kind of thing I want to repeat too often, but I was impressed by the installers who put it up there, because the screen itself was about 5 meters wide and weighed 200 kg...

As for the latest Youtube thing, here it is: YouTube - Hide your in-wall speakers with these acoustic paintings

It's an animation though and...despite having a 1 GB source file (which I couldn't use), Youtube compression doesn't do it justice. But, when it's free, you can't really complain.

Otto
Beamax

Just a quick update to show the screen lowered for those interested. The table lamp on the left doesn't interfere with the picture, it's just the angle I took the photo from. :)

The other shot shows how flat this screen is....the whole point of tab tensioning I suppose. :D

Attachments

• Wide screen.JPG
    Wide screen.JPG
    85.5 KB · Views: 203
  • Side screen.jpg
    Side screen.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 166
I had a minor mishap with my tab tensioned screen; the left hand tensioner got caught under my left speaker as I raised it and broke the pivot. While I managed to fix it up temporary I emailed Otto at Beamax to enquire for a price and part number to order a couple of spares (my speaker is very close to the end of the tension bar, so I could imagine it happening again as it only takes a slight movement of the speaker to bring it into contact). A few days later I received a couple of spares in the post....thats service for you. :clap: Thanks very much Otto. :smashin:

Did anybody fit m-series screen to the wall? Just bough a second hand beamax and it was ceiling mounted, but it is too high for my room if mount it to the ceiling. I am thinking mount it to the wall but it doesn't include any wall bracket.
Also does anybody know how to change the fabrics from back to front roll down? Thanks

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom