Installation Options

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Glyn, Feb 22, 2001.

1. Glyn

Glyn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just a quickie..

Do you have to install a projector on the ceiling or is it possible for an installtion elsewhere?

I wouldnt really want a projector on the ceiling but possibly on top of a high securely placed cabinet/etc would be ok.

So is there a particular place or is the options varied?

Glyn

------------------
    No mother, You HAVE to watch it this loud, it is a waste of money otherwise.

"I want to tell you a secret, I EAT dead people!"

2. Vis Man

Vis Man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    On top of a high cabinet is not ideal as you will have to invert the projector and the image to get the correct light path. This will also restrict access to the function keys. you will also need to allow for air flow to stop overheating

3. Jenz

Jenz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You may mount it into a largish table to project. There are a variety of options that can be used. Depends on the room.

------------------
    Webmaster,
    Bullets n Babes DVDs

4. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright
    AVForums Founder Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,521
    One of the recent installs in the Articles section has got a projector hidden in a reall nice little table. Looks ok plus in a table means more control over fan noise.
    You would need the right size room for ths, though as, for example, my ceiling mounted projector is right over our heads. I.e. it might be in the way on the floor. And you'd have to really bolt the table into the floor rock solid to stop people from being able to move the unit.

5. Rob

Rob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Yes,
    Problem with table mounts is that the table is nearly always right where you want to sit, meaning you usually have to sit to one side on your own...

Maybee table mounts are the way to go.

------------------
    Don't think you are, Know you are.

6. rigman

rigman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +92
    For those of you that have a CRT projector on the ceiling. How is the mounting bracket attached to the ceiling. Is it screwed onto the wooden joists. My ceiling (I think)is comprised of plaster board onto joists and above that it is flooring grade chipboard. I am looking at getting a CRT projector very soon but my biggest worry is that the ceiling will not be strong enough to hold it.
    When you had it installed, did you have to lift the floorboards upstairs to mount the bracket or can it be done from the cinema room.
    thanks for any info

7. Arthur.S

Arthur.S

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It depends on whether you mind a large hole in the ceiling or not! My seleco 310 was fitted from down stairs because I've had a false (acoustic) ceiling fitted just below the real one (Which hides the hole [​IMG]) to enable me to run cables easily. The projector bracket is attached to the joists VERY securely! The problem with modern tongue & groove chipboard flooring is that it don't come up easily! So, after making a real mess fitting the projector, & running cables. If you want to add anything afterwards, you've got to smash the floor up again! For the record, since my original install, I've added cabling for: a VCR (for the tuner) TV aerial, another subwoofer, re-positioning the switch for the screen, adding masking above the screen, & adding extra lighting. All in all, the £300 that the false ceiling cost was well worth the money.

------------------
    www.baldyplex.com

8. GarryF

GarryF

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    I used the following instructions from www.avsforum.com to mount my CRT, three months on and it still hasn't fallen on my head. I personally made the board capture three joists and used 3 screws per joist and its rock solid.

Here's how to really mount a projector. Buy a piece of 3/4" MDF cut to 2' x 4'. Take a trusty router and do something interesting to the edges. Mount the projector mounting bracket absolutely square on the board so that the projector lens will come to the front edge of the MDF (2' wide ... 4' deep). Drill a 2" hole through the MDF to allow your cables to run through the MDF into the center of the mounting bracket. You'll want to use bolts and lag washers ... big 'uns. Prime and paint the MDF to match the ceiling.

Carefully figure out where you must place the projector on the ceiling. Mark the location of the MDF. Knock big ol' holes in the ceiling to located your video and power cables and pull them down through the mounting bracket. Using a stud finder, locate your ceiling joists. Use 4" decking screws and screw the MDF to the ceiling through the joists. You should span two joists and should use 8 screws per joist (for a 200 lb projector, each screw is holding 12.5 lbs.). Now, you have no ceiling holes to patch, a finished mounting plate, etc.