installation issues. please help me, im at my wits end

cannaboid

Novice Member
Hi guys

i have just built my gaming Rig (at last lol), and purchased an OEM versiopn of Vista Home Premium whilst i was at it.

Now i have got my pc together and seemingly working. but i cannot install vista.

It gets to the stage where its "Expanding Files (0%)..." but then it shows a dialog box with the following message:-

"Windows cannot install required files. The file may be corrupt or missing. Make sure all files requires for installation are available, and restart the installation. Error code: 0x80070017"

i havent got any network cards attachede to the system so cant be that. Theres only 1 sata hard drive. and its a sata DVD drive running the DVD.ideas guys?

i have spent loads onj this computer, and been looking forward to getting it up an runnin for ages, now once i get this sorted i can actually use it lol.

please help guys :(

Any

Last edited:

MarkE19

Doing a quick Google search for '0x80070017' seems to indicate that the error is caused by the install program for Vista not being able to read the DVD. Try cleaning the disc to see if that helps. Otherwide try putting an old DVD drive from another PC in the new PC to see if you can install from that. IIRC there have been a fair few issues with installing Vista from a SATA DVD drive, but saying that it worked fine for me.

Mark.

cannaboid

Novice Member
finally sorted it out.

must of been a problem with the disk itself. I tried installing it as a VM from within xp (on the same machine i had the problems installing it on anyways) and exactly the same thing happened.

Unfortunately though, the other DVD drive i had, i got rid of before this one got delievered so was stuck.

I downloaded a copy of windows vista home premium 64 bit (The same one i had purchased but wouldnt work) from a torrent site, burned to a DVD, Used my purchased key on it, and voila all sorted.

I just hope that when my windows 7 gets here in november that i dont have the same problem else ill go nuts lol.

Cheers for the help and suggestions guys

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Philips TV Launch Event, Soundbar vs AVR, Samsung EzCAL and more...
Top Bottom