Installation help advice needed please

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by T1berious, Aug 15, 2013.

1. T1berious

T1berious

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    Good Morning,

I hope you guys can shed some light \ offer up some opions. I'll try to keep it brief :)

We want to mount 2 TV's on walls in 2 rooms. the walls are good solid brick as it's a victorian house.

Room 1 would need an extending mounting arm capable of going to 750mm (tilt - swivel) as its going in a corner, seen a suitable one for about £250. Some channeling would need to be done ( 1 for HDMI etc and 1 for power). The TV is 55" at 20Kg

Room 2 would only need a tilt mount and a single channel sorted, again going into solid wall but over a fireplace. it's a 37" unit.

we got a quote that was frankly, ridiculous. so I just wanted a sanity check.

should it really take 2 guys 2 days to do that lot? The cost for parts alone was, I'm not kidding, £900.

2 brackets and 2 x 5m HDMI = £900? do they come with Platinum cases and Gold sheaths?

Am I the only one confused, I won't put the total quote up, lets just say it's comfortably over what we paid the same company for under floor speaker cabling. speaker terminals and plates for 7 speakers....

I just want someone to say, 2 days? you're having a larf!!! :)

Cheers in advance T1b

2. dj-dulux

dj-dulux

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +151
    May not be too far off, really depends on what brackets they are using, a future automation PS50 is not cheap for example, we also use e-vision brackets for 'in-sight' situations, again not cheap. So I could see £600 - £700 spent on brackets. maybe £20 on fixings. £50 on face plates and power stuff, could be more if expensive electrical faceplates used. 2 HDMI cables should be less than £150 even allowing for 'nice' ones. You should also put in several Cat5 cables for future control and internet services.

2 days for 2 people, maybe also. If they are making good after channeling the walls then this needs a return visit to apply the final coat, they will then finish cable management off. Hanging and channeling for 2 TVs should take 1 day, but could easily take longer if power needs to be pulled a long way etc. You should also ask if they hand chiseling, takes a lot longer, but makes less mess.

I don't think its too bad, you could maybe get it a little cheaper, but if you have been happy with there work previously that also worth a lot.

Dupe...

3. T1berious

T1berious

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    Hi,

Thanks for getting back to me. They would be using Peerless brackets (I did a bit of research to see if it could be done )and they won't be doing any electrical work, post job plastering or painting and I quote "If you've got a plasterer get him in, he'd do it quicker than he would and do a better job".

So it's pretty much on the parts 2 x Wall Mounts, 6 brush plates, 2 x 5m HDMI, get your own sparkie, plasterer, painter and we'll take £2K Ta!

Erm, really? :)

4. dj-dulux

dj-dulux

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +151
    In that case seems a bit high.

Dupe...

5. Member 581642

Member 581642
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,501
    2 x 5M High Speed with Ethernet HDMI Cables £15 total.

Not that hard to mount TVs yourself just need a decent drill, a spirit level and a couple of mates.

Channelling out again you could do yourself or get decorator/handy man to do it. You maybe paying more as seen as an AV job.

If you could get away with a smaller extension on the Wall mount say 46mm a full motion (tilt swivel extend ) mount would be just £89. Fully Articulated double arm Bracket for 37 - 65 TV s

6. T1berious

T1berious

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    I'm half tempted to get a bloke in to do the channeling but I'm seriously tempted at doing it myself :)

7. Member 581642

Member 581642
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,501
    If you do it yourself cost could be as little as £200 with just two brackets to buy and 2 HDMi Cables.

8. S D I

S D I
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +114
    2k sounds about right if they are a one stop shop and finish to a very high standard.
    Electrical and good plaster finish ready for decor would have to be included.
    It's definitely a two day job.

9. MassiveJim

MassiveJim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    My TV Bracket cost ~£40 and it extends out, tilts and rotates.
    I have installed it myself to a dot n dab wall using rigifix fixings(cost about £20) and I can honestly say I have never been more sure about a bracket I have installed before, I am happy that I could put my full weight on it (100KG) without it ripping out the wall.

£2k I would have laughed at them. They are in business but those prices are silly, especially when others have said materials could be had for £200 (another £200 for tools if you don't have the correct ones) and wouldn't actually take you that long to do.