Installation hassles before it's started

pony1982

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi there,

I'm moving to a cable area and thought I'd give the Virgin Tivo service a go. I placed an order for Virgin Media (Phone, Broadband, TV, SKY, TIVO HD etc) online last night and specifically asked for and paid extra for early morning installation between 8am and 10am on the day of installation. I got an email from them this morning with a bunch of reference numbers saying it would be installed between 8am and 1pm.

I called customer services and spoke to somebody called Carol at one of the Scottish Call Centres. She first insisted that I wasn't a customer and she couldn't locate me. After about 20 minutes of faffing about, she found my account and confirmed that she saw the order and could do nothing about the time, but would change it to first call. When I said I wouldn't wait after 10am for the installers to show, she said there was nothing she could do. I asked to speak to a supervisor, at which point she hung up on me.

I called again, got through to one of the Indian call centres (this was Vasanth at the Pre-Install & Cancellations department). The guy seemed to know what he was talking about and claimed to have found my account and also changed the installation time.

Is there anyway for me to confirm this? I dont want to be waiting around for ages on Friday for somebody who might or might not show up on time.

Thanks for your help people.

Welcome to Virgin Media were customer service is a joke.

My experience with VM is 10x worse than sky. I do not have a BT line so I don't have anything to do with BT anymore.

The point is I do get faults with VM services, I haven't had any with SKY apart from my HD box died and they replaced without to much hassle and within one week.

My VM problem lasted 1 month and 2 weeks because that was the best they could do. They said they would credit my account with the loss of service, about £100, but my bill came and guess what ? Thats right no discounts at all. Rang them and they said they would take it off the next bill, Guess what ? Thats right, I've still be charged. So I have cancelled My direct debit, your move VM !!

AND WHATS MORE !!!

Their new 'super'hub is **** !!!!
For some it just does not work with their XBOXs or PS3's !!
I had the same problems so went to plug my old router into it, guess what ? The 'technician' stole my router !! That took me 3 days to get back aswell.

Last edited:
Well it's the complete opposite for me. Sky a complete joke and VM very helpful and no problems:D

Must agree when it comes to the very rare faults or - as in my recent case - a cable re-route due to building works - no problem.

The only hassle I have is trying to get a good deal to switch the inclusive second box to HD!

Thanks for the replies people. Virgin replied to my email confirming that the installation would be done on Friday the 10th. Fingers Crossed.

I'm going to have to take back the initial negativity about Virgin Media. The installed arrived on time-ish and was surprisingly helpful (the last time I had a virgin install, it was a disaster and he drilled all sorts of holes in my walls and then didn't use them). Took me about an hour or so to get up and running and it seems to work well. One thing I will say is I didn't think the HD image was as good as SKY HD. I couldn't really tell if the SD images were better or worse than SKY.

I also definitely prefer the TiVo box to the SKY HD box - I've had it crash on me once though.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom