Install W7 Upgrade using an OEM COA?

Michael

Hey guys.
Not sure if I'm allowed to ask here, but I'd like to try to upgrade to W7 on my main machine, but not using my current Xp installation.
Instead, I'd like to use the COA from a kaput pc that was dumped on me a little while ago.

Is this possible? I'd rather not have to shell out £90 for retail :s

MarkE19

The license key that is stuck on the case of another PC will almost certainly be an OEM license. All OEM license keys are locked to the first PC they get activated on and therefore you would be in breach of the EULA if you used it for an upgrade install on another PC.

You might get away with it, but it would not be legal.

Mark.

Michael

Looks like I'm buying retail then :(
Thanks for the advice anyway:thumbsup:

skull_bone

Novice Member
you can use an upgrade disc to install onto a clean HDD. You just have to restart after it's completed initial installation. Then once it's restarted you enter the activation code and you're all done. Worked for me on both my machines.

MarkE19

:nono: Just because it is possible to do something doesn't make it legal - the license for an upgrade copy of Win7 requires an old licensed copy of Windows to be deactivated for it to be a legal instal.

Mark.

edit: confirmation of what I have said above can be read Here

Last edited:

Omega

Novice Member
The chance of any kind of legal action however is approximately 0%. Microsoft only prosecutes in cases of gross piracy. The worst thats likely to happen is that copy of Windows will be de-activated and you'll be prompted to purchase a new key.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Philips TV Launch Event, Soundbar vs AVR, Samsung EzCAL and more...
Top Bottom