Question Install speaker cable indecision

Mister_Tad

Not looking for a cable debate, just looking to hear from others that have gone through the same thought process and what you did to push me off the fence in either direction - because once it's done it's done.

I'm currently debating which cable to run for a new dedicated room, and I'm struck with indecision.

The gear room is at the rear of the cinema room, it's a 7m room but when all is said and done routing through walls and the ceiling the runs will be around 15m long to the front speakers. Runs for the .6 in the ceiling and the rear 4 speakers commensurately shorter. Front speakers are B&W 804s/HTM3s (min 3.0 ohm) and will be fed by what's looking likely to be a NC500 amp, possibly a NAD M27, perhaps something from Nord.

I'm in two minds...

A - Circa £100, the cheapest available pure copper speaker cables all round. 4mm for the fronts and 2.5mm for the rest. E.g. KabelDirekt at a cost of £1.20 and 60p/metre respectively. Because it will fine and I'll never know the difference if any.
B - Circa £600, something like Belden 10awg for the fronts and 12awg elsewhere. Because it will give me warm and fuzzies knowing that whilst it's overkill, it will unquestionably be fine.

The angel and devil on my shoulders are currently arguing between "overkill is exactly the right amount of kill" and "don't be frivolous, £500 is a good chunk of change to save"

steelman1991

Split the difference and go with Van Damme Blue - around £3.00 per metre. Installed some years ago and had no reason to change.

nigelk1

I used 2.5mm van damme blue all round. I got a 100m reel

Mister_Tad

After umm-ing and ahh-ing for the longest time I picked the cable up last week and ran it at the weekend.

6mm Van Damme LCOFC for the front three (£6.48/m)
4mm Kabeldirekt for the rest (£1.22/m)

£500 all-in, but I (intentionally) over-purchased on both by a fair margin, as I didn't want to come up a metre short on one of the long runs and then have to go back and get another 15M anyway - the cost of what I used is more like £350... and it's always handy to have spare speaker cable on hand.

Almost certainly overkill on the cable gauge when all's said and done, but once it's laid, it's laid.

Bippu

What the impedance of your front speakers ? I guess you went with a higher gauge because of the length and interference.
I have similar size room.

Mister_Tad

They’re 8 ohm nominal, 3 ohm minimum
I went with the higher gauge partly for that reason, but mainly because (other than cost) there are not really any negative consequences of having too large a cable.

Kingchin

6mm Van Damme LCOFC for the front three (£6.48/m)
4mm Kabeldirekt for the rest (£1.22/m)
I also use 6mm VAN DAMME UP-LCOFC Hi-Fi series speaker wire, for all my speakers. I had previously used VAN DAMME Blue series. Higher quality copper used in the VAN DAMME UP-LCOFC Hi-Fi series though you likely wouldn't notice a audible difference.

I personally did notice a bit of audible difference for the better. Though that could well be a placebo effect. It's around the same price as the Blue series. And I like the see through bare copper look 😆 so was worth it for me personally.
PicsArt_03-18-06.42.51.jpg

Bippu

Is 6mm VAN DAMME UP-LCOFC is it 6mm per wire plait or 3mm + 3mm
Has anyone found a cheap source ?

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Streaming Theatrical Releases And The Future Of Cinema
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom