• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Install Satellite using Samsung 46F7100 to Tune?

bmouthboyo

Standard Member
Hi Guys,

I live in Thailand and I have a 46 inch F7100 LED TV. My landlord is installing a satellite for what I guess is DVB or Freesat equivalent but he said the installer needs us to have a box.

We don't want a subscription so just after the free over the air channels. Will he be able to use the TV to check the Sat alignment etc? I would have thought he had a separate tool for that?

At present the house has areal sockets installed (the older TV type ones) so I assume there will need to be some sort of hardware before this goes to all the rooms? Or can a satellite pass the data over this? (I thought it needs to coax cable with the surround that screws?)

Sorry don't know much about satellite TV etc

sep8001

Hi

He should have a meter to ensure it is pointing at the correct sat. Once installed you need a box connected to the tv and the dish to check everything is working okay.

pedro2000uk

Distinguished Member
Maybe he means you will need your own satellite receiver as a landlord usually only supplies the dish and cabling.

bmouthboyo

Standard Member
But I never used a receiver in the UK I just plugged the satellite dish into the back of my TV. What I'm not sure of is in this house I will need to use the standard arial type connection from the wall to my TV so wondered if there needs to be a settop type device to centrally split the signal?

logiciel

To begin with he's not installing a satellite.
It's probably a dish but we can't be sure, so do ask him.
It's not likely to work direct to your TV.
That wouldn't be done with an aerial connection.

moonbeam120

That TV has a built in DVB sat receiver all that needs to be done, is to connect it to the cable that would normally feed a STB from the dish LNB. Provided there are non-encrypted free to air channels available to watch, you should be able to tune into them. If all channels are encrypted then you will need the STB your landlord is saying you need.

Cheap non self-powered Sat meters require power from a STB connection to work. That is why your landlord is saying you need a box. Your TV will provide the power needed so it shouldn't be a problem.

Whether any of the channels you can tune into are worth watching is another matter. If they aren't, then a motorised setup or internet TV is probably your only option.

pedro2000uk

Distinguished Member
TVs now can have motorised (full diseqc 1.2/USALS) options with multiple satellites pre loaded plus the option to add satellites/ edit transponders / blind scan/ network search etc..

bmouthboyo

Standard Member
The house has the older style ariel sockets in each room so I assume the landlord will want them to be hooked up centrally and the TV signal passed to each rooms socket. If this is the case I assume the receiver will send the uncompressed / decrypted signal to each room and this is passed to the TV.

Is it possible to use these old style sockets to pass the dish signal to the TV room and have an adapter to allow it to hook up to the TV receivers coax style socket? Or can the TV get this same signal using the older style one?

MartinPickering

TV aerial sockets were originally designed for Medium Wave radio so there's no way you could guarantee a reliable 75 Ohm match for a dish LNB (satellite) signal. There's no harm in trying it but if it's an isolated socket it won't work. Isolated sockets are sometimes marked with a capacitor -||- symbol.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom