Install - Rack help

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by DJBlade, Aug 25, 2006.

1. DJBlade

DJBlade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +182
    Hi, i recently installed my equipment in the new house, however, i dont like the rack in the room, so i need alternative, something like the pic below...... also, another pic shows my garage, which is directly below the rack, i want to drop the power amp down there, it needs to remain close to ceiling, as the cables wont allow any lower (exsisting speaker cables and so on under the floor boards)

any ideas guys ??

tia

2. NonPayingMember

NonPayingMember
    Previously Liam @ Prog AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +830
    Personally I would want it all hidden away. Either custom cabinetry or stick the whole lot in the garage in a 19" rack and put in a pronto remote with RF extender or crestron etc. This is what me Dad (our resident cabinet maker) built for his:

[​IMG]

http://progressive-av.com/installation_gallery_lifestyle_feature_1.htm

If you want something more "showy" I would still go for the custom solution, but more along the lines of a media wall with kit on feature glass shelving (perhaps as above but with open central doors/glass doors. A complete media wall could also integrated space for speakers, hidden DVD storage, recessed plasma screen etc etc:

[​IMG]

A rack in the garage and some recabling is obviously the cheaper option! The cabinetry in the study in the lower image went into 5 figures...

3. DJBlade

DJBlade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +182
    Thanks for that Liam, must say, i'm really impressed with the shots above.
    That said, i just dont have the space for any custum built cupboards in the room, i'd allready thought about the whole lot in the garage, but, some days, i'm allways swapping cd's over after a few tracks or so...... would be a pain to keep going down to the garage to change cd's.
    I can run my complete system, bar sky with my current av8 remote + sky remote, so, what other infa red sensors atre available ??

TIA.

4. NonPayingMember

NonPayingMember
    Previously Liam @ Prog AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +830
    Xantech IR forwarders are about £200-250 for a kit (these are very reliable and have a tiny plasma-friendly IR receiver option you can sink into the wall/cabinet). Although if you can program yourself, the Pronto with RF extender lists at £400 ish and will give you FAR more power/configurability which combined with the Arcams excellent installer friendly codeset could gain you some interesting zone 2 advantages while you are wiring this lot up.

Back to the hanging units solution, the shelves in the picture look like the Vogels gear. I personally don't think it comes out as a well as it does in the brochures unless you have the time/budget to strip the whole area of wall and do it properley... At which point you might as well build/have built your own shelf design without the ugly plastic cable management (plaster the cabling into the wall). You could arrange the kit at random looking points dotted around the wall. Or just have the DVD in the room on a wall mounted shelf, wired to everything else in the garage.

5. Knightshade

Knightshade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    That's some very tidy furniture there Liam, Trouble is beauty and quality like that don't come cheap. That is some lovely work there though.

6. DJBlade

DJBlade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +182
    Had any experiance with this Alphason rack ??
    States on there site that you can remove the feet, and wallmount, looks the closest yet to what i'm looking for....

Also, when i drop tha amp (and maybe the processer) into the garage, i'm going to have to put up a strong shelf, what sort of brackets are available for that ? The Arcam p7 is quite deep, and weighs 30kg

7. vex

vex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +261
    Have you looked at the Vogels AV racks and accessories.

They make a wall bracket that matches their screen mounts and provides a great looking 'floating' shelf design for your av kit.

http://www.vogels.com/

Click on products and then the accessories options in the bottom right.