Install Question - AV amp, DVD, PS3, SKY, Xbox360

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by DanH471, Jan 12, 2008.

1. DanH471

DanH471

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi, i am looking at getting a panasonic TH42PZ700 very soon and im wondering what would be the best way to connect up the rest of my gear so i can order correct cables.

I have a PS3, Xbox360, DVD player and Sky+, the PS3 will be on HDMI and the Xbox on Component input. The dvd player will be on HDMI too. The Sky+ box will be on scart but now im a little stuck where to go next, i have a Yamaha AV amp thats a little old (pre HDMI) and it powers my 5.1 surround sound. I have an optical output possibility from the TV which i will be putting to the amp.

Now, the sky box, ps3 and dvd player all have digital audio outputs but if they are going out through the optical of the TV, do i need to connect those devices seperatley to the amp or will they work ok going through the TV?

Hope this makes sense to someone that can help.

2. kentish_lad

kentish_lad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192

If you connect direct from the TV via optical you will not get 5.1, you have to connect each directly to the amp

3. DanH471

DanH471

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Is it because the TV cannot process the 5.1? So none of the systems will give 5.1 without directly connecting via optical to the amp?

4. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    Exactly so. I don't think the TV optical will put out sound from anything but the freeview tuner in fact. Overall, for a custom install, it's a poor choice of TV. I think you may be hung up on 1080p, and have not thought about the rest of the requirements for such a job. If I were specifying, I'd get that Yamaha into the classifieds, get an Onkyo 605, and 'down-spec' the panel to a PH10, and add a Harmony remote.