• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Install on Thursday, do I need to move anything?

Jason56d

Am due to have Infinity installed on Thursday morning. I want everything to go as smoothly as possible as I have to be at work pretty near the end time of the call. So, I wondered if there was anything I could do to help speed up the install?

My master socket is downstairs in the hall by the front door and I have an extension line from it to my study upstairs where my PC and current Sky modem are. The upstairs socket is under my desk, behind my desktop. If possible I would like the upstairs socket to be changed into the master.

Should I move my desk & desktop etc for him to access the socket easier? Obviously it needs to be plugged in and on for him to test it, but I can move it 3-4 feet if necessary?

Any advice of previous visits is appreciated.

Oh and, I haven't received my router (?) yet. How soon does it arrive, as I don't want to leave it till Thursday morning and it not be here when they arrive!

m0t0k0

To have the master socket normally costs about £130 so I don't think they would do it on an infinity install. Your best bet would be to ring customer services and see what they have to say.

bananacat

You will probably receive your HH tomorrow as I got mine 2 days before if your not in they will leave it somewhere safe or leave a card as it will be delivered by Royal Mail.

I doubt that they will swap over the master socket as and far as I'm aware the modem has to go next to the master socket.

Always best to move things out of they way will make the install go quicker the BT guy was in and out within 15mins when mine was done

Jason56d

On the socket change, a few posters on here have said that you can get the master socket moved up to 30 metres if required, as part of the Infinity install. Will see Thursday then, if I can, it will be moved, if I have to pay, then it stays where it is!

Think I will make room just in case.

And hopefully my router should arrive tomorrow then.

Jason56d

buckle247

They will move the socket no problem. BT infinity comes with a home wire solution, which includes moving the master, swapping the master with an extension or running a data extension kit.

Obviously moving furniture will help speed it up a lot, otherwise the engineer will have to wait for you to do.

deathtrap3000

Chances are the engineer will come right at the end of your time slot. Best thing would be to just give him space around the socket to work. Making your extension the master socket is a relatively easy job so he shouldnt be there too long.

Jason56d

So, it's here! :thumbsup::clap:

Engineer & his trainee called at 7.45 to say they would be with me in 20-25 mins.

Turned up at 8.10, made them a coffee and I asked if they could move my master socket to my study, no problem came the reply.

They were finished at 9.15 and we sat down to test my PS3 wired (through homeplugs) and wireless connections.

Here are the lovely new speeds and old Sky speeds on PS3:

Sky wired, download 4.0 mbps - upload 0.41
wireless, download 1.9 mbps - upload 0.39

BT wired, download 12.7 mbps - upload 3.9
wireless download 9.5 mbps - upload 4.7

Using speedtest.net for following.

PC on Sky download 4.6mbps (max) - upload 0.78 (average)
PC on BT download 37.46 mbps - upload 8.26

iPhone 4S was interesting! Went off the dial! Got up to 27.23 mbps download and 8.08 upload!

So far am loving the new speeds! :thumbsup:

Claret

Standard Member
Having mine installed on 7th March. I have the same issues with the master socket. It's currently downstairs under the living room window right next to the door, with no adjacent power socket. I'd like it moved upstairs to the office. Based on your experience hopefully that should be ok. Current download speed with BT broadband are appaling - max of 0.5mbps, average 0.2mbps wired. I'm unable to use iPlayer, YouTube etc. and if anyone's on the PC playing PS3 online is impossible. I'm expecting a big improvement. BT have promised a speed of around 14.56mbps. I'll keep you posted.

Claret

Standard Member
All done yesterday. Took him a couple of hours as he had to move the master socket upstairs (used existing wiring) and instal a new junction box at the top of the stairs to split off the data and phone feeds. Vast improvement in speed - from 0.2mbps down to 14.5mbps. Can now use iPlayer, YouTube etc. Test both wired and wireless and no difference in speeds. Currently use Homeplugs so think I'll stick with them. Well pleased.

crowncd

Standard Member
Had BT Infinity installed last week and the Openreach engineer moved our master socket from the hall (downstairs) to the bedroom (upsatirs) where the main computer is. There was already a socket in that bedroom as we had dial up there years ago so although it hasn't been used for years the socket and wiring was in place.
Now, we have a BT Diverse 3016 Classic answerphone in the hall which we have never had a problem with. Since the install the phone, which I suppose must now be on some sort of extension line, keeps giving out regular 'beeps'. The handbook says the phone beeps when the batteries are low but we're sure that this is not the case. The phone works fine but obviously we can't put up with this beeping for too long. Nothing in the handbook to say it has to be on a master socket but we can't think of anything else that can be causing the problem.
Can anyone throw any light on this situation and point us in the right direction?
Many thanks.

crowncd

Standard Member
No wormvortex we haven't tried that but to be honest we want to keep the answerphone downstairs and not have it in the bedroom where the computer is. We do have a phone in the bedroom but as it's DECT it just has to be plugged into a mains socket.
We have actually disconnected the answerphone from the wall socket in the hall but left it pluged into the mains and it still make a noise. That makes me think it may be a fault with the phone rather than the line. I just wonder if installing Infinity could have damaged the phone in some way. Just seems too much of a coincidence.

wormvortex

Distinguished Member
No wormvortex we haven't tried that but to be honest we want to keep the answerphone downstairs and not have it in the bedroom where the computer is. We do have a phone in the bedroom but as it's DECT it just has to be plugged into a mains socket.
We have actually disconnected the answerphone from the wall socket in the hall but left it pluged into the mains and it still make a noise. That makes me think it may be a fault with the phone rather than the line. I just wonder if installing Infinity could have damaged the phone in some way. Just seems too much of a coincidence.

I was thinking maybe the engineer has mucked up the wiring and the extention doesn't work. Hence it beeping whether connected or not to the phone socket. If you try a phone in the extention you will know if this is the case or not.

crowncd

Standard Member
Just as a final report on our 'beeping' problem, we decided to replace the phones and the new ones seem to work without problem. I can only assume that something happened to the old phone during the installation of Infinity that caused it to malfunction. Anyway, we seem to be ok now if a little out of pocket. Many thanks to those who offered advice.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom