Install My Own Dish Cables???

bardel

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Im thinking of having Sky+ installed, however, the cabling in my lounge is all ducted behind my skirting boards and under the floor.

I dont want a new Satellite dish resulting in a surface mount cable. I understand that this may be a bit much for the installer, so do you think they would mind if I buy some cable and install it myself and then let them come and terminate it, put the dish up etc?

I found another thread regarding cable, and they were talking about using the PF100 cable from here , is this the right stuff for Sky+.

Also, how many lengths of this cable do I neee between the dish and STB 1 or 2?

Cheers

Barry

They won't mind at all if you install your own cable. Be sure to use the correct stuff. CT100, H109, W100 or QF100. I'm not sure about the PF100 stuff you quoted. I think it may have only a metalised plastic film rather than a solid copper shield.

There's a magazine article about coaxial cable that you might like to read.

You'll need two lengths for the SKY+ Digibox and one for each additional Digibox. If fitting cables is a pain, install more than you think you'll ever need! You'll probably want an extra one to take the signals up to a distribution amplifier in the loft.

Originally posted by Fernsehman
They won't mind at all if you install your own cable. Be sure to use the correct stuff. CT100, H109, W100 or QF100. I'm not sure about the PF100 stuff you quoted. I think it may have only a metalised plastic film rather than a solid copper shield.
I think i will need to do the cable runs myself too.
Got any online suppliers for those cables mentioned?
How much are they Per metre?
Which is the best cable?

\\Chris

Go here

http://www.maplin.co.uk/

The stuff you want is order code XS17T (or XS16S if you want black). You can buy it on 100m drums which comes out really cheap, order code PB43W (PB42V for black).

They also sell F type plugs but you can get them at any electrical store.

I would run three cables from the dish to the STB location (for Sky+ and possibly a second digibox) and a forth cable from the STB location either to a second TV, or ideally up into the loft to a Sky Link compatible distribution amp... Use CT100 quality or better, ideally without joins or wall plates...

Hi,

The link in the post above (Fernsehman) talks about types A,B,C and D cables the PF100 is a type of B cable which is therefore equivalent to CT100 BUT is better suited to outdoor runs, i.e. it is more likely not to fall apart in our inclement weather. It is £20 for a 100metre reel from www.tlcdirect.co.uk. Considerably cheaper than the Type A (above) cable from Maplins!!

Cheers

Mel

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom