• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Install GTA IV to Steam via disk

cullyl4d

Standard Member
Hi,
During the steam summer sales i decided to buy the GTA collection. I know that my dad has a copy of GTA IV and liberty city stories on a disk, therefore i was wondering if there was a way to 'copy' the files/use the disk to prevent downloading as I have a poor internet connection. Is there a way to install the disc copy and have steam recongize it or am I stuck downloading 15 gigs?

Does this method work?
Go to Steam -> Install GTA IV -> Pause download.
Copy over all files from the Disc installation to Steam\Steamapps\common\grand theft auto iv\GTAIV

Then right click on the game (in Steam library) -> properties -> local files -> verify integrity of game cache.

Thanks

Cactusweasel

Established Member
Worth a try, although I rememeber trying the same with UT3 Black Edition and it ended up downloading the lot again.

MGRayd

Distinguished Member
You can it does work but you can't copy files from disk you need to install the game from disk as normal to another location and then copy them to the steam GTA directory.

The latest video from AVForums

SVS Prime Wireless Pro Powered Speakers - Review Coming Soon
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom