1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Insomnia from dddhouse

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by wilber, Nov 4, 2002.

1. wilber

wilber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    I got this disk last week (cost about £8) & I watched it last night.

I was concerned that there may have been problems 'cos it just seemed to be too good to be true. I'm happy to report that the film looked fantastic, sounded fantastic (DTS) and there were no problems at all bar a slightly jerky layer change (mind you my player is over three years old so doesn't have the buffering capability of modern machines).

On top of that it was a really good film (missed it at the cinema). Expect to see Oscar nominations for Pacino & Williams. Nolan could also get a nod on the strength of this plus the high regard Memento is held in.

Definitely worth getting from our friends on Hong Kong unless you worry about your packaging/menus being dual language and there being no extras to speak of.

2. jmcr100

jmcr100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Cheers for that information because I ordered it and it's on its way and I too was concerned that, at the fantastically low price, that it wasn't going to be up to scratch but now I can't wait!!!

3. James45

James45
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think Oriental writing looks well smart unlike that dodgy froggy stuff.:D :rolleyes: I think I'll take DDD up on this deal as well.
    I take it the subs aren't 'burnt in' but player generated ones instead??

4. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the R1 and the extras are pretty good. There's a nice choronological commentary that shows the film in the order it was filmed with commentary from Nolan. Plus there are scenes that have commentary from the various actors. There's a long deleted scene as well that reveals more of the relationships between two of the characters (I won't say which two for fear of spoiling anything for those who haven't seen it).

I presume the R3 is anamorphic?

5. wilber

wilber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Spot on

I have to be honest and say I wasn't paying attention :blush: - I'll check later but I guess it was.

6. PaulBoy

PaulBoy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    anamorphic ? it is certainly WS & zoomed OK on my WS TV to fill the screen ...
    dts & picture are spot on IMO - got mine from coolashop for about £7 & delivery took 5 days (UK)
    Pacino is certainly worth a nod for an Oscar nomination but I cant see why Williams might get the nod (didnt see much of him - mind you with Oscars you never know ...)
    Paul ;)

7. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you had to zoom it, then it wasn't anamorphic. Horror of horrors!!

8. Nike

Nike

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Usually with DDDhouse, if they say a title is 'widescreen', it will be anamorphic. It will be described as 'letterbox' otherwise.

When they have a 'Western' movie (not talking cowboy films here), it is often the same quality as the R1, but with little or nothing in the way of extras.

Most of the stuff I get from them are HK/Chinese movies; these are very rarely anamorphic. (Shaolin Soccer is the only one that springs to mind as being anamorphic)

9. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes that's right - I couldn't be arsed to go on the website and look though, especially as I already have the R1 :p

10. James45

James45
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    it says widescreen, I'll do some shopping there this week as I'm after some HK stuff as well.