insignia egr cooler leak please help

lee53

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi my insignia has been in vauxhall yesterday they say it has an egr cooler leak internally and have quoted me £1450 to replace it am out of warranty this seems to be a common fault with these cars you can buy a repair kit for £36 but vauxhall are saying I need it replacing and want £1450 to do it. Has this happened to anyone else and how much did it cost to fix.

Hi my insignia has been in vauxhall yesterday they say it has an egr cooler leak internally and have quoted me £1450 to replace it am out of warranty this seems to be a common fault with these cars you can buy a repair kit for £36 but vauxhall are saying I need it replacing and want £1450 to do it. Has this happened to anyone else and how much did it cost to fix.

Yes happened to me!

Basically the cooling sleeve cracks and you lose all of your coolant, first check is to make sure the engines not damaged, if ok it's a very simple fix of replacing the egr coolant sleeve.

Vauxhall try to say they only sell the sleeve plus new egr valve for £800 plus your fitting costs on top, but the egr sleeve is an off the shelf Vauxhall part, that costs £80 to buy and a hours labour to fit. This replaces the entire jacket and metal internals (not the egr though) not just a simple fix for the part (that's the £35 one, which is just the jacket and gaskets)

This be honest both do the same job and both take an hour or so to fit. Just be aware that the fault may have illuminated your dash, to switch these off either push Vauxhall to reset or just buy a code reader and reset them yourself.

Is your car not covered by the lifetime warranty??

Yes, very common fault on the Vauxhall diesel engine, Astra, Insignia 2.0.
Not all that simple to fit, but not too bad....a couple of bolts are a bit tricky to get at.
I've only ever fitted the plastic housing and the rubber seal, usually that's all that is required.

Hi thanks for the reply no my cars not covered by the lifetime warranty I have spoke to them again and they are saying I need the whole egr cooler unit as it's leaking inside and that's a £1000 just fir the part am going to try get a second opinion

Can i recommend a garage on here? Its called Mr Clutch they have garages around the UK. I am sure they will be able to help, and they will be cheaper than Vauxhall.

Hi lee53. Did you manage to sort this issue out without having to pay the dealer £1500? My dealer is telling me I have the same issue you describe and have been told I need the whole £1000 part, etc.

Hi lee53. Did you manage to sort this issue out without having to pay the dealer £1500? My dealer is telling me I have the same issue you describe and have been told I need the whole £1000 part, etc.

Ask them about the Vauxhall egr jacket fix, thatcher then the entire egr valve, still a very common issue and quite cheap to fix.

Don't let them con you into replacing the entire unit.

Thanks Bubblin. I'm not clear whether the jacket would solve my issue. The claim made by the dealer is that my cooler is leaking internally into the exhaust flow and consequently my DPF is not able to auto regen. Now got the DPF full dash message. Need the leak solved and possibly EGT sensor replaced so DPF regen starts working again.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom