Insight on my custom build?

Mike45450

I'm buying a new system, though it's my first time building it from scratch with components. Could you guys just give some insight into whether or not everything is compatible, and if I need to make any adjustments?

* Gigabyte GA P35C DS3R
* Intel Core 2 Quad Pro Q6600 "LGA775 Kentsfield" 2.40GHz (1066FSB) - Retail
* Corsair 2GB DDR2 XMS2-6400C5 TwinX (2x1GB)
* Leadtek GeForce 8600 GT Extreme 256MB GDDR3 HDTV/Dual DVI (PCI-Express) - Retail
* Western Digital Caviar SE16 320GB 3200AAKS SATA-II 16MB Cache - OEM
* 530w Tagan EasyCon TG530-U15 2Force Silent Modular
* Lian-Li PC-7 PLUS Aluminium Midi-Tower Case
* Pioneer DVR-112D 18x18 DVD±RW Dual Layer ReWriter
* About £20 for some fans

Altogether comes to about £606 (mix of scan.co.uk and OCUK). I'm probably gonna need to downgrade some stuff like the CPU and GPU since I may need a monitor to go with it too. It's gonna mainly be used for things like graphics (Photoshop and maybe some 3D stuff), gaming (though not too hardcore) and other basic crap.

But yeah, any major issues with compatibility or any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

D

Deleted member 188495

ok, your better of getting a e6850 for the things you do, there is no need for quad unless you run a number of intensive programmes at the same time or you are into video editing, which quads love. for photoshop a faster 3ghz e6850 will beat the quad, gaming the dual core wins. so i would stick with the e6850.

Mobo- dont get the p35c just get the p35 ds3r, as you dont need ddr3 ram its a long time till ddr3 ram actually becomes useful, maybe 2 years from now. and the p35 OC's better much better you can hit 3.7ghz and more with good cooling with the e6850.

I think you are wasting your money with the 8600 gt, the x1950 pro will kick its ass- its much better for gaming at 90 pounds. and if you dont game that much its good when you do want to game. but the 8600 gt is a rubbish dx10 card a waste of your money!!!!

The PSU is ok, i would get the Corsair hx520w a very good power supply, and remember the power supply is the most important component in your PC don't just get a cheap PSU, because if something goes wrong then all your component's could mess up. but i would just go with the Corsair, its around the same price too.

the case is ok, i would recommend the Antec p180/182 very good silent case, with amazing airflow!!! can has alot of space, so that you can expand when you please.

other than that the build seems fine!

booyaka

i agree and disagree with the above - i personaly would stick with the quad. The advantange in using photoshop and 3d graphics/rendering etc will be much better with the quad rather than the dual core but horses for courses i guess.

agree with regards the 8600 gfx card - if not looking for top end graphics and DX10 card then stick with the X1900/X1950 series cards - still cracking cards for the money. (also helps you skimp to afford the monitor!:D)

motherboard is fine - agree with the above points about DDR3 not being any great advantage over DDR2 ram.

On the ram front - looks fine but also consider the ballistix PC6400 ram - excellent stuff.

Tagan PSU looks good also - i have an older Tagan 530W and it's been foot perfect for 20 months now.

tinners

IMO stick with the Quad, it will come into its own soon enough.
Agree with binning the 8600 it's pants.
Would recommend the Antec P182 case over the Lian Li.

Tejstar

Distinguished Member
Personally, for what he needs it for I think something like a C2D E6750 would be fine. He could save the £50 or so and use that towards a better graphics card, the X1950Pro would be the best choice if DX10 is not a requirement.

I'd also go for a Corsair HX520 over the Tagan, although that's a personal preference. I'd also choose a Pioneer 212 drive just to avoid the IDE clutter. I like the PC-7 case, the Antec P180/182 are a lot bigger and are not as nice imo.

Mike45450

Ok, i've updated my list now. How's it looking this time?

• Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3R
  • Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 2.4ghz
  • Corsair 2GB DDR2 XMS2-6400C5 TwinX (2x1GB)
  • Asus ATI Radeon X1950 Pro HTDP 256MB GDDR3 HDTV/Dual DVI (PCI-Express) - Retail
  • 320 Gb Samsung HD321KJ
  • Corsair HX 520W ATX2.2 Modular SLI Compliant PSU (CMPSU-520HXUK)
  • Lian-Li PC-7 PLUS Aluminium Midi-Tower Case
  • Pioneer DVR-112D 18x18 DVD±RW Dual Layer ReWriter

This list adds up to about £560, which is a lot better. I may add another HD so that I have one for files and stuff, and one just for Windows and maybe programs. One thing i'm not sure is the ATX 2.0 and 2.2 stuff, will the things I chose be ok?

Thanks again

Tejstar

Distinguished Member
Go for the Core 2 Duo E6750, rather than the E6600. It's a better chip and £10 cheaper!

SeanT

Distinguished Member
Can't you stick a few more quid into the HDD and get a 500?

D

Deleted member 188495

I agree get the e6750 which is clocked at 2.66ghz rather than the more expensive e6600 clocked at 2.4ghz. plus you will be able to OC the e6750 to 3.7ghz easily, with good cooling.

booyaka

Ok, i've updated my list now. How's it looking this time?

• Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3R
  • Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 2.4ghz
  • Corsair 2GB DDR2 XMS2-6400C5 TwinX (2x1GB)
  • Asus ATI Radeon X1950 Pro HTDP 256MB GDDR3 HDTV/Dual DVI (PCI-Express) - Retail
  • 320 Gb Samsung HD321KJ
  • Corsair HX 520W ATX2.2 Modular SLI Compliant PSU (CMPSU-520HXUK)
  • Lian-Li PC-7 PLUS Aluminium Midi-Tower Case
  • Pioneer DVR-112D 18x18 DVD±RW Dual Layer ReWriter

This list adds up to about £560, which is a lot better. I may add another HD so that I have one for files and stuff, and one just for Windows and maybe programs. One thing i'm not sure is the ATX 2.0 and 2.2 stuff, will the things I chose be ok?

Thanks again

What happened to the quad core???

If sticking with the dual core then the E6750 is better value, but i would suggest going with the Q6600 quad if i was buying now.

Otherwise all looks fine.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom