Inserting Memory Stick Duo problem

blangsdale

Novice Member
Reaction score
PLEASE can anyone offer any advice.

I have a Sony Handycam DCR-DVD 110E and I cannot insert the Sony Memory Stck Duo memory card.
I have opened the LCD viewer and the holder. The card slides about half way in but no further.

I am inserting the card with the arrow pointing towards the viewer.

Thank you for any kind assistance

Brian

PLEASE can anyone offer any advice.

I have a Sony Handycam DCR-DVD 110E and I cannot insert the Sony Memory Stck Duo memory card.
I have opened the LCD viewer and the holder. The card slides about half way in but no further.

I am inserting the card with the arrow pointing towards the viewer.

Thank you for any kind assistance

Brian
is this a recent second hand purchase ? Assuming inserting the card pointing towards the viewer is correct there could be a broken part of a card inside,the model you have records video to DVD disc and stills on the cards,are you sure you are inserting the card correctly.

Hello Chris
How kind of you to respond - thank you!
This is a recent purchase.
I have downloaded the user manual and am inserting the card as per instructions and diagram.

I have taken a picture of the card slot but this site says "there was a problem uploading it.

I will try to do this again.
Kindest regards

Brian

Perhaps it would be useful to take the camera to a dealer to see if they can load the memory stick. Chris has suggested that there may be an obstruction but this would need a Sony dealer to strip it to find out.

Was the camera new? Not clear from your last post but I suspect the camera has been on the market for some time.
Most new cameras use the SD card. I have two Panasonic cameras (one is three years old and one this year's model) both use the SD cards and have given no trouble to date.
One thing to consider. I know that a new camera is an expensive option but it may compare well to the cost of a repair on an older model. You may want to weigh up the advantages of a new model against your current model + repair costs.

I used to own a Sony Hi-8 camera but I became disillusioned with the way Sony tried to tie the customer into their systems and extras. I then went for a Canon HV20 before buying the Panasonics, the freedom to purchase third party accessories was a revelation!

Hello Chris
How kind of you to respond - thank you!
This is a recent purchase.
I have downloaded the user manual and am inserting the card as per instructions and diagram.

I have taken a picture of the card slot but this site says "there was a problem uploading it.

I will try to do this again.
Kindest regards

Brian
Yes if you bought it from a dealer take it back but i think this model was out new a few years back,it may sound silly but are you sure you have not put the card in without the memory stick.

I wonder if this is a camera-fault, or is it a card-fault?
If you can find a local Film-Making club they will be able to sort you out, although a visit to the shop that sold you the camcorder would be an alternative...

I wonder if it's the right card ( SDHC come in two sizes - standard, about the size of a postage stamp and micro which about a quarter the size ). Is it possible the card is damaged? They only fit "one-way" but it is my experience the "correct way" is hard to determine. It's a pity there isn't a white line along one edge corresponding to a white marker on the slot . . . but Mfrs always try to be too clever.
Is SDHC the right card for the camcorder? - I believe Sony often specifies Memory Stick Duo and that these are interchangeable with SDHC - but worth checking.

This is certainly an odd situation.

Is SDHC the right card for the camcorder? - I believe Sony often specifies Memory Stick Duo and that these are interchangeable with SDHC - but worth checking.
The first post says that the problem is with a Memory Stick not an SD card.

Surely as the great guru of Sony, Harry, you can shed some light on the problem? These complicated cameras are beyond a mere mortal like me.:(

I tried to make the point that with the older models, and especially considering the costs of repairs, there is a time to seriously consider retirement. For example, I still have my Canon HV20, a very well spec'd camera for its day, but the tape drive will wear and let me down one day so I have "retired" it. Plus the slow demise of FireWire meant that when it came time to replace my PC, it required extra cards fitted and new software.

The reality is that the trinity (Sony, Canon and Pana) seem to bring a new model out each year. This means that while last year's model is still available, there are bargains to be had. I let Amazon be a guide as they reflect any price changes in a Wish List.
So if the price of a repair is taken into consideration the cost of buying new becomes more sensible. In theoryo_O the new cameras should have the latest tech. built in. With the 750 I have a new lens system, a back-illuminated sensor chip plus the Slow-Motion and Time Lapse features. So a new or near new can make sense.

Thanks for that, now we know.
Incidentally I agree re older kit . . . sometimes it is better to move-on despite dumping a trusted friend.

Incidentally I agree re older kit . . . sometimes it is better to move-on despite dumping a trusted friend.
We'd never throw out old and trusted friends Harry.
We'd miss you too much!:laugh::laugh::laugh::oops:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom