• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

INPUTS on Panasonic XW450 (DVD Recorder) and Harmony 525 - endless frustration

sptov

Standard Member
I have recently purchased a DVD recorder (Panasonic XW450) and a Logitech Harmony 525 universal remote. After a few days of endless frustration getting the Panasonic to switch inputs to the correct channel I have hit a wall.

I have a few questions for the gurus:

1) Does anyone know how to tell the Harmony to switch the Panasonic XW450 to AV1, AV2, TV without going through the menu?

2) Going through the menu the Harmony gets the input wrong frequently. Any suggestions on how to directly "call" the right input? For instance, on a fresh start up the Logitech gets the input wrong pretty much 100% of the time. Then the remote is confused. It thinks it is on "pay tv" when it is on "normal tv" and sends the commands to the wrong "box".

I have a bunch of Panasonic DVD Recorders (BW850, DMR-EX88) but the one I picked for my parents (who need the universial remote the most!) just happens to be the one that does not reliably switch to the right input on startup. I am almost at the point of adding an Amplifier with a "direct input switch" and removing the Input switching due to these issues with the Panasonic input switching.

Any ideas/help is much appreciated :smashin:

My EX88 and BW850 both have direct options (both different) in the Harmony commands to switch.

logiciel

The default Input setting for this device looks completely wrong to me, offering as Input Names only DVD and HDD, which are not really inputs at all, and then of course DriveSelect as the cycling Command.
What have you done to correct this?
The idea would be to change the list of Input Names to those you use, and to select InputNext as the cycling Command.
With the Inter-Key Delay selected accurately that should work better, and the Help button would fix it when it didn't.

sptov

Standard Member
The default Input setting for this device looks completely wrong to me, offering as Input Names only DVD and HDD, which are not really inputs at all, and then of course DriveSelect as the cycling Command.
What have you done to correct this?
The idea would be to change the list of Input Names to those you use, and to select InputNext as the cycling Command.
With the Inter-Key Delay selected accurately that should work better, and the Help button would fix it when it didn't.

Thanks for the response. I changed the Inputs to the correct names and it cycles through the inputs. The real issue however is when the machine starts from an "Off position". It turns everything on, but makes no attempt to switch the machine to the correct input channel. I changed the PowerOn delay with varying (increasing) values, but did not make any difference at all. It is strange that it does not bring up the Input selection menu or anything. I am at a loss as to why Logitech has got the "DVD" and "HDD" under the input channels when they are "Drives" and have nothing to do with the inputs from what I can see.

logiciel

As well as changing the names did you also change the command to cycle through them?
While no input setting is made from all-off what happens when changing from one activity to another?
I suggest you report the default error to Logitech support.
The input problem needs to be fixed but you had a good idea about the amplifier.

sptov

Standard Member
As well as changing the names did you also change the command to cycle through them?
While no input setting is made from all-off what happens when changing from one activity to another?
I suggest you report the default error to Logitech support.
The input problem needs to be fixed but you had a good idea about the amplifier.

Thanks for your feedback. I have spent a lot of time on this issue and I have not found a "solution". I tried adjusting all the delay settings etc, but none worked. The only work-around that I have found is to leave the Panasonic DVD Recorder unit switched on all the time. This is not optimal by any means but it works around the base issue. I will report this bug to Logitech and will continue down the amplifier path.

logiciel

The only work-around that I have found is to leave the Panasonic DVD Recorder unit switched on all the time.
Does that imply the answer is "yes" to my question about whether the problem arises only from the all-off situation, and not when changing from one Activity to another?

sptov

Standard Member
Does that imply the answer is "yes" to my question about whether the problem arises only from the all-off situation, and not when changing from one Activity to another?

Yes, the issue only arises when the machine is in an all-off state. TV and DVD Recorder both off. If the machine is on, and on the correct channels (ie not confused from the startup) the input switching functions fine.

logiciel

That definitely ought to be fixed by the Power-On Delays. What are the current values for those?

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom