Input switching on HDMI?

drpatterson

Novice Member
Its almost time for me to retire my old Trinitron and head for a flat panel set. I've been starting to research things and have a question about input selection.

With my existing setup I've got used to scart input selection. Turn on my STB and the TV changes to that channel, press play on a DVD and it chages to DVD. It looks as if I lose this rather useful functionality with HDMI connections, is this true? If so it seems a step backwards both in terms of functionality and WAF.

Probably looking at Sony again but do different brands handle this in different ways?

T

Tarrier

I have the Sony 32" V series bravia and SkyHD, but no autoswitching on HDMI :thumbsdow

Not sure why the setup isn't capable of this (is it the TV, the SkyHD box, the technology???) - like you say it seems a bit backwards. No-one seems to know why, tho (or if they do, they aren't telling us!).

T

Tarrier

I'm having a similar conversation in the Sky HD forum (click here).

Looks like the Panny's can do it. I'm gonna ask sony why they can't on their lovely Bravias (wish me luck!)

T

Tarrier

Well I tried to contact Sony but no luck. Will persevere but not holding out much hope (have always found that their after sales service sucks harder than my vacuum cleaner).

Apparently the Pannys have got something called HDAVI control (scroll to bottom of that link).

C'mon Sony - get your act together!

drpatterson

Novice Member
Tarrier, thanks for the info. As you say, looks like either Sony or the HDMI folks have missed the boat a little on this one, one of the few good things about scart was that devices could talk to each other on a simple level - and thats going back 15 years or more.

oldnewbie

Novice Member
Well I tried to contact Sony but no luck. Will persevere but not holding out much hope (have always found that their after sales service sucks harder than my vacuum cleaner).

Apparently the Pannys have got something called HDAVI control (scroll to bottom of that link).

C'mon Sony - get your act together!
in the link it also mentions that they are using a specially designed hdmi lead for this to auto switch, I think generally you wont get hdmi to auto switch because on scart it uses one of the pin assignments to actually turn the tv over and hdmi cant do this. on my samsung lcd tv if you just press the power button to turn on it goes to the connection that was last used but is unable to auto switch hdmi:thumbsdow

avmoron

Standard Member
Tarrier, thanks for the info. As you say, looks like either Sony or the HDMI folks have missed the boat a little on this one, one of the few good things about scart was that devices could talk to each other on a simple level - and thats going back 15 years or more.
Switching signals are part of the HDMI 1.3 specification. Current models of TVs only use HDMI 1.1 or possibly 1.2. The next sets out in the spring may well incorporate HDMI 1.3.

drpatterson

Novice Member
I've done a bit of digging on the hdmi website and it looks as if its HDMI 1.2a that adds Consumer Electronic Control (CEC) needed for this.

Not a great help as nobody supports 1.2a either.

Think it needs a year or two yet before I ditch the CRT.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: CES 2021 Special - Sony, LG, Panasonic, Samsung, TCL and Hisense TV news and more...
Top Bottom